Exabyte VXA-1 and OS X

I just purchased a new Exabyte VXA-1 firewire drive. I am running Retrospect 5.0.238 on an iMac running OS X 10.2.6. If I go into Configure Devices, the drive does not show up. Any ideas.

I had a DDS-3 firewire drive from Lacie on this machine, with the same problem. I thought the drive was bad so I purchased this new Exabyte. Mabye I was mistaken.

If I go into Apple System Profiler, should a tape drive show up under the Firewire devices section?

Thanks,

Jeff

Okay, this is driving me crazy. I went and put the new Exabyte drive on my laptop, which is also running 10.2.6 and Apple System Profiler found the drive. So, I decided to change the machine which was running Retrospect. I installed a fresh copy of 10.2.6 on a new iMac 600 and copied over Retrospect. But, the drive cannot be found on this new drive. I do have a Firewire hard drive on this iMac which is running fine. Just the new Exabyte cannot be found.

• 1 month later...

Quote:

If I go into Apple System Profiler, should a tape drive show up under the Firewire devices section?

Yes it should.

I think Retrospect checks for devices at launch, so if you connect the drive after launching Retrospect you may need to quit and relaunch.

If you are having trouble getting the tape drive to show up, I suggest having it on and connected and rebooting the Mac. (I have a flaky firewire hard drive that refuses to mount live over half the time, rebooting with it connected works every time. YMMV)

Archived