Error starting Retrospect

I just bought the Workgroup upgrade (Mac OS X) and installed it, after uninstalling the preview version. Apparently the authenticator is having problems. When I launch Retrospect for the first time, it quits, then relaunches, then quits, then relaunches, and repeats endlessly. Nothing other than Finder is running. I cannot quit the process or even restart the machine, and have to do a hard restart. Now Dantz wants me to pay $70 for help. That's absurd. I will return the software and get a refund and find a better solution before I pay for help getting the software to start up.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? I seem to recall a similar problem with the beta version, but I can't find a fix.

I did an uninstall and reinstall of the final version. I used the preview uninstaller to remove the preview version and and the beta client. I am running the Workgroup version on Mac OS 10.1.2, on a PowerMac G3.

Well, I tried to reinstall again, but did a custom install with all three items checked instead of easy install, and Retrospect launched this time, and I am at the registration window. Don't understand why this would make a difference.

I notice that Dantz does offer 30 days of installation and setup support, but I had to get to this point before I was informed of this. Also, I notice that this does not apply to upgrades, so I would have been out of luck anyway.

Thanks for your help, Irena.

Archived