re-backing up a questionable backup

I just installed OSX and a new Retrospect 5. Using a Sony AIT with a 29160 drive I received multiple bad header errors in the log. I went to the Dantz site and found the update driver, and then proceeded to Adaptec to update the driver for the 29160 card. It appears that the setup is working but I would like to "redo" the questionable backup. When I try Retrospect tells me that there are no files to be backed up. Even when I try to do a normal unscripted backup of the files. I know that there is a simple answer.

Also, a wishlist to customer service, when I registered the new boxed Retrospect 5 I indicated the software and hardware. It would make sense that on the registration email that I received that there would be a link to the driver updates.

thanks,

Jeff

thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that this is an existing backup set and I only need to "re-backup" the bad session. Sorry for my omission. I would think that this is a fairly common problem. If a device logs errors on verify or write but still copies the files, then the backup contains questionable files. Can the session be forgotten? At this point the only answer that I can see is to start a new backup set, is that true?

thanks again,

Jeff

Retrospect can not backup only the changed files from a prior session, nor can a session be forgotten.

You can temporariliy turn off "Matching" in your backup options. This will allow a complete backup of all files on the source, but will not erase the contents of the entire set. This will leave you with historical data.

I just thought of one more way you can try this, which is a bit of a workaround, but may accomplish your goals.

Go to Reports > Contents and browse the contents of the session in question

Highlight the contents

Go to Browser > Save Highlights. This will create a selector based on those files. Give it a descriptive name

Use the new selector with a backup of the volume in question - with Matching turned off.

You'd have to do this on each volume. If you have more then 1 or 2, it may become tedious.

• 3 weeks later...

i have daily script

mon-fri

want to do a sunday

back-up

complete back-up

are you saying - just to

turn off "matching" option

then - do a "single date"

backup???

will it automatically return

to the normal daily script???