Can't backup to COMPAQ DLT 20/40 under X

I had this same issue with the Preview edition. I am using an OrangeMicro 930U SCSI card under OS X. I can perform Short erases, rewinds and ejects no problem under OS X. However, when I attempt a backup both Retrospect and the Tape Drive hang on the first file. A force quit clears Retrospect but the drive must be powered off and on to recover ..... Any ideas??

Just checked - performing a long erase also works fine ....

Everything is up to date. Here was OrangeMicro reply to my issue:

> If the below suggestions do not work contact Retrospect support to find out if

> they have confirmed support for the Compaq DLT 20/40 tape drive under Mac OS

> X. We have has many positive responses of customers using Mac OS X

> Retrospect.

> 1) Make sure you are using the latest version of the Grappler Mac OS X

> extension. 2) Make sure you are using Mac OS 10.1.3 3) Make sure you are

> using the Mac OS X version of Retrospect. The one that works with Mac OS 9

> will not work under Mac OS X.

All of the above requirements have been met. I have yet to find actual Version 5 compatability information - just Retrospect 4.2 ....

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the same problem with this drive. It worked great with Retrospect 4.3, but starting with the OS X preview, the drive would fail with bad header errors during verification (which means the tape was not been written to properly). I have the same problem with the release version of Retrospect 5.0, including rev 203. I am running 10.1.3 with all the latest patches. I have used several SCSI cards, and the current one is an Adaptec 39160. Dantz needs to address this problem ASAP. It has nothing to do with the tape drive or the SCSI card. It is either the OS or Retrospect that needs to be fixed, and I vote for the latter, since it used to work great with Retrospect 4.3. Right now the 5.0 upgrade is a big waste of money for me, since I cannot use it yet to back up my video files (over 2 GB in size). By the way, Retrospect 5.0 does work fine under OS X with other SCSI tape loaders I have at work, which use DLT7000 drives.

The Compaq DLT 20/40 is supported by Retrospect under OS X.

The following information below comes directly from the Knowledgebase. The troubleshooting techniques equally apply to devices that are freezing during backup.

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=knowledgebase_article&id=837

SCSI Troubleshooting for Mac OS X

The devices and SCSI cards listed in our OS X supported list have undergone preliminary testing by Dantz for use with OSX. This list is provided as a service to our customers and does not guarantee compatibility or performance in all systems.

If you are experiencing a SCSI communication error (Bad backup set header, -100 or –200 errors) it could be caused by one or more of the following:

1) A dirty tape heads or bad media. Clean the drive using a cleaning cartridge. Try another piece of media. If other media works then dispose of the bad media and continue to backup with the new media.

2) Another device on your SCSI bus is interfering with the device’s communication. Make sure your SCSI ID numbers are set correctly.

Turn off your computer and the devices. Disconnect all SCSI devices except for the backup device making it the only SCSI device on the chain.

Note: If you are using Mac OS X, you should not use a wide device with a narrow card. Nor should you use a narrow device with a wide card.

3) You have a bad cable. Replace the SCSI cable that connects the device to the computer after removing other devices and cables from the SCSI chain.

4) You are missing a terminator or have a bad terminator. The last device and ONLY the last device in your SCSI chain needs to be terminated. Try replacing the terminator if you already have one on the chain.

5) Your SCSI card and backup device combination may not be fully functional under OS X. "Bad backup set header" error messages are a common symptom of this problem. Check with the SCSI card vendor for firmware and driver updates. If those updates do not help, try a different SCSI card.

6) The computer may be having a problem. Install Retrospect on another computer and try the device on that other machine.

7) Boot into OS 9 and check the OS 9 System Profiler to confirm that the drive is visible. Apple Menu> Apple System Profiler

If it is, open Retrospect and attempt to back up.

8) If the backup fails again, the drive may be defective. If you have implemented all of the preceding steps and get failures on multiple tapes after changing cables terminators and computers then the drive (being the only factor that has not changed) is the culprit—contact the drive vendor for additional suggestions.

If your device does not appear or function correctly in Mac OS X:

1) Confirm that your backup device and SCSI card are supported by both Mac OS X and by Retrospect.

2) Another device on your SCSI bus is interfering with the device’s communication. Make sure your SCSI ID numbers are set correctly.

Turn off your computer and the devices. Disconnect all SCSI devices except for the backup device making it the only SCSI device on the chain.

Note: If you are using Mac OS X, you should not use a wide device with a narrow card. Nor should you use a narrow device with a wide card.

3) Check the Apple System Profiler to see if the drive is visible. Applications> Utilities> Apple System Profiler. If your device is not visible in the Apple System Profiler, Retrospect will not be able to use the device for backup.

4) If the device is still not visible, boot into OS 9 and check the OS 9 System Profiler. Apple Menu> Apple System Profiler.

5) If the drive is visible in the Mac OS 9 Apple System Profiler, contact the drive vendor for compatibility information.

I figured out what the problem was yesterday. Dantz does have a tech note out on this problem in the knowledgebase at http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=knowledgebase_article&id=835, but it is listed by the Sony mechanisms that have this problem (SDT-10000 and SDT-11000). The problem basically revolves around the driver Adaptec supplies for the 39160. I had to downgrade to the driver that Apple supplies for the 39160 with OS X, which is slightly older. The other person who started this thread is probably also having a similar problem with his SCSI card driver. For some reason these Sony mechanisms seem to have special problems with some OS X SCSI card drivers.

I figured out what the problem was yesterday. Dantz does have a tech note out on this problem in the knowledgebase at http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=knowledgebase_article&id=835, but it is listed by the Sony mechanisms that have this problem (SDT-10000 and SDT-11000). The problem basically revolves around the driver Adaptec supplies for the 39160. I had to downgrade to the driver that Apple supplies for the 39160 with OS X, which is slightly older. The other person who started this thread is probably also having a similar problem with his SCSI card driver. For some reason these Sony mechanisms seem to have special problems with some OS X SCSI card drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some info from Apple System Profiler:

The Grappler card has just been flashed with the latest and greatest OS X ROM:

SCSI card

Card type: scsi

Card name: Grappler_930U

Card model: ULTRA

Card ROM #: Not available

Card revision: 3

Card vendor ID: 10cd

The DLT Drive was just updated via Compaq ROMPAQ to the latest and greatest firmware:

IOSCSIParallelDevice

SCSI Product Name DLT4000 CPQ DRV

SCSI Target 3

SCSI Product Revision D996

SCSI Vendor Name Quantum

Product Identification DLT4000 CPQ DRV

Vendor Identification Quantum

Now some additional information running 10.1.4 and Retro 5.0.205:

The Drive and Card work perfect under OS 9.

The Drive can erase, rewind and eject tapes via OS X.

When attempting to write a backup it hangs on the very first file under OS X.

When attempting to read during a catalog recreate under OS X - it hangs on the first file.

The rear of the drive indicates there is active termination and a terminator is not required.

A terminator has been tried and it makes no difference with or without it.

Retrospect does not generate any errors.

After hanging the Cancel/Abort button can be pushed and Retrospect attempts to cancel but this completely hangs Retrospect and must be Force Quit.

There are no other SCSI devices in the system or on the card.

I had the exact same problem with Retro Preview edition.

I have seen other posts on this board with the same problem.

I have not seen anyone successfully using a 20/40 DLT drive

It is very aggravating having a substantial investment in a Tape Drive and DLT tapes and not being able to use it with the latest release of Retro under OS X.

Dan

Hello,

I am having the same issue with the Compaq 15/30 drive with Orange Micro 906F card OS X 10.1.4.

No other devices hooked up to the card and the DLT drive properly terminated. I towrked fine with Retro 4.3 and 9.2.2. I have updated the card to the latest Orange micro firmware. I owuld really appreciate some help as I too have a substantial investment in retrospect and it is basically useless. It does however backup just fine to my internal 100 MB zip drive which does not do me a whole lot of good. i have tried all of the knowledgebase recommendations to no avail.

Please tell me this is justa bad dream adn actually ther exists somewhere the good ole reliable Retrospect that we all know and love....I want my mommy...

Hello,

Here is what happens. retrospect sees the drive just fine and scans the backup source just fine. when it finally goes to do the actual copying to the DLT drive, it just quits after 1 file. the little sprockets keep turning and i can access other software and i can even move the Retrospect window via the title bar.

As for pin configurations, I don't know other than they are whatever they gave me out of the box. I have updated to the latest orange micro drivers for the card though. It is a orange micro 906F SCSI card.

thanks,

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Ping configurations??

Both the card and the drive use Mini-DB50 - I am using a Mini-DB50 cable - no convertors on either end.

There are no jumpers on the card or the drive - drive has button for setting SCSI ID.

None of my other OS X machines support SCSI.

I have tested this cable on this machine running OS 9 - and on a Windows machine with a scanner. Both work perfectly.

What is the exact configuration you used in the Dantz testing lab to verify that this drive work with OS X and Retro 5? What type of computer?? What brand SCSI card??

Dan

• 5 months later...

Archived