Recovery ISO image too big

gordonwd

I am creating a recovery CD on my new XP Home system for the first time. Retrospect 6.0 created an ISO image file that is 874,438Kb in size, which my CD writer program rejects because it is too big to fit on a CD-R (700Mb max). I'm surprised it would do this -- is there a way around it?

OTOH, my CD writer is also a DVD writer. Can I burn this to a DVD? Are DVDs bootable like CDs are? I can see that I have some learning to do about CD/DVD writing technology!

Doug G

When prompted for the I386 folder, during the Disaster Recovery image creation, make sure you're using the folder on your Windows CD, and not the one on your hard drive. The I386 folder on your hard drive may be too populated to fit on the CD.

DVD boot is not currently supported.

Unfortunately, new PCs (from HP at least) don't come with a Windows CD or even "Recovery CDs" anymore. What I have is a "recovery partition" on my hard drive. There is an I386 directory in that partition (which is what I used), as well as one on my system drive.

I do have an XP CD that I used to upgrade one of my other PCs. Could I use that as the "Windows CD" for purposes of making a Retrospect recovery CD?

Doug G

Archived