Retrospect & VXA AutoPak

We've been using Retrospect 6.0 Multi Server for nearly 8 months and have been very pleased with it. Recently we purchased a new box of VXA tapes, loaded up the AutoPak with them, and edited the nightly backup script to write to a new destination (Backup Set B).

Since then, we've had not one complete succesful backup frown.gif When I check it in the morning, Retrospect has closed the script after (some) backup has been done and the display in the AutoPak says "tape ejected".

I've been through the AutoPak manual and configuration and made sure that Retrospect preferences are not set to "eject media" for any reason. Any advice, suggestions, on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The log did not give any indication of any problems but I figured it out. The script had been set to start at 7pm and end at 6am. Since this was a new backup set, the allowed time was not long enough. Once I extended the time allowed, it worked fine. I still do not know why the AutoPak was displaying "Tapte Ejected" however - and just as curious is that the tape was not actually ejected.

• 2 weeks later...

Well so much for that theory. For some reason when a tape fills up, Retrospect stops and the AutoPak displays "Tape ejected". This is not the same behavior it had with the previous backup set. When a tape filled up it would simply move on. Any ideas?

If you go to Configure > Devices, do you see the drive and library slots?

Go to the Environment tab and list Vendor, Product and Version for the drive and library.

What is on the screen when this occurs - what is Retrospect doing? Are there any error messages in the log? What OS?

The drive and the library slots that are displayed in the Environment tab of the Configure Device menu:

ID 2:1 Exabyte VXA AutoPak 10x1 Version E33a Exabyte Library (1.06)

ID 2:5 Ecrix VXA-1 Version 2B7B Ecrix VXA DC (1.10)

(the hard drives appear at other IDs)

When this happens, Retrospect has a "standard" dialog window that indicates the script completed with errors. No log entries that would indicate any problem occurred.

Operating system is NT4

Does this problem only occur with the new tapes? Your original post indicated that this behavior started with the introduction of new media.

Set a script to run a few minutes in the future and watch the behavior. Does the tape eject right away? Does Retrospect quit after the execution? What behaviors can you note?

That the loader is displaying "Tape Ejected" when the tape truly is not ejected would tend to indicate a hardware problem.

Archived