Restore from Incremental copy.

I have been trying for days now to restore an incremental copy of our entire exchange server without any success.

As per instructions that come with the exchange agent I have taken an image copy of the Exchange server system disk (in fact I have an image copy of every disk in the server). Having restored all disk images to a new machine and re-booting everything starts up OK, including all the exchange services. When I try to restore from the incremental copy of exchange it appears to work successfully. However upon re-boot the only exchange service to start is the System Attendent, no other exchange services start. An entry in the event log shows an error just after the Retrospect Agent restore started as follows - "dir.edb and its patch file does not match"

I have managed to successfully restore from a full copy but this leaves me missing 4 days email. I cannot find any detailed instructions on how to restore using the exchange agent or how the restore process works, all the documentation I have managed to find on the Dantz site seems to concentrate on backing up with little on restoring, which is fine until you need to restore. Please can someone point me in the direction of detailed instructions on restoring exchange as I assume I am doing something wrong.

For info I am using Exchange Agent 1.2.113 with Exchange 5.5 SP4 on WinNT 4.0 SP6a.

Thanks

When using the 1.2 Exchange Agent to replace the stores what choices are you presented with? With this agent you should be just given the choice to replace or restore the stores as they were last backed up and not a specific time frame.

What does the log show for the backup of these stores?

The Agent only allow to replace from the last backup. The options are Information Store only or the entire exchange server.

All the log states is that the incremental backup was successful. There are no error messages. Even after a failed restore the agent logs stats a successful restore.

Yes, the Agent will only replace from the last backup done, either a full or incremental, as long as the backup location or where you save the files to did not change.

Also the options can only be either the Information store or the entire server with this Agent.

• 1 year later...

Archived