Retrospect Pro 6.0 won't recognize Seagate STT6201U USB tape

rsr2005

I recently had to re-install Windows/XP because of a problem. This required me to re-install everything else including Retrospect Pro 6.0. Prior to the re-install I used my tape drive evey week to backup my home PC. Now Retrospect doesn't recognize there's a drive even though Win/XP shows it. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Go to Configure>Devices and check the environment. If the driver name listed for your device does not appear in boldface, some other software loaded a driver inappropriately, keeping Retrospect from using its own driver. Determine which other device driver is loading and disable it.

All devices should be connected before launching Retrospect.

Make sure ASPI is installed. Run the ASPI check utility (ASPICHK.exe located in the Retrospect folder under Program Files:Dantz:Retrosepct). If it reports ASPI is not fully installed on your computer, or if the versions listed are not all at 4.60, run the ASPI installer (ASPIINST.exe, also in the Retrospect folder). For more information about ASPI, see “ASPI Explained” in the Retrospect User's Guide.

Under Windows NT/2000/XP, if the ATAPI miniport driver is disabled Retrospect may not see the ATAPI bus. You must enable the miniport driver by editing the registry key at the path:

\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Aspi32\Parameters

Set the ExcludeMiniports value data to empty so Retrospect sees all buses.

Make sure you have the latest drivers from Seagate (www.seagate.com). There may be updated drivers available for WinXP.

Thanks for you attempt to help but after doing eveything you suggested there is no difference. This was running before I rebuilt the machine. I didn't have to hack the registry or any of the other things you mentioned. I did get a driver download from your FTP site when I originally bought the software but that was all.

In Device Manager it shows up as a Seagate STT20000A Tape drive even though it's really a Seagate STT6201U. I have downloaded and installed the drivers you mentioned but they were the same ones I already had. Nothing in that download applies to the tape drive driver just the Freecom USB driver. I still see nothing in Retrospect even though the Win/XP system recognizes the hardware and the Seagate diagnostic software says it's working fine.

I do have the Freecom drivers loaded and I do see a Freecom USB device under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. The Tape device does NOT show up under the Environment Tab even though the Seagate Diagnostics say everything is fine with the drive. It seems that everything but the Dantz backup software knows the tape drive is there. Do I still need to have ASPI setup like you said before even though I'm running under Win/XP Home?

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Thanks for you attempt to help but after doing eveything you suggested there is no difference.

Quote:

Do I still need to have ASPI setup like you said before even though I'm running under Win/XP Home?

Yes. Your previous post indicated that you already did this, so I assumed that you had.

If you are still having difficulty, try the drive on another computer to see if it shows up properly. Make sure no other backup software is installed on this computer (including anything by Seagate).

There is no other backup software installed on the machine just Dantz Retrospect 6.0. The cuurent Seagte drivers are installed. The drive shows up in Windows XP device manager and Seagate Diagnostics reads and writes the drive with no problem. The only software having a problem is Dantz. This device worked on this machine with Retrospect 6.0 30 days ago. I had to re-install Win/XP and the Dantz software and that's when the problem started. Before that I've been using this drive and the Dantz software sine 09/02. What would trying another machine do for me?

Have you installed ASPI? Have you confirmed that it is properly installed?

Have you uninstalled the Seagate software? Uninstall any other backup software that is installed.

Enable NT SCSI Passthrough to bypass ASPI: From the Retrospect Directory hit Ctrl-Alt-P-P. Under "Execution," check "Enable NT SCSI Passthrough." Click OK. Quit and relaunch.

I'm not going away until this problem with "your" software is resolved. I paid good money for backup software that states it runs on Seagate USB tape drives and it doesn't even know the device exits. I either want the problem resolved or my money back for the upgrade.

In a situation like this, it is often more efficient to call tech support and open a support incident. It allows us to take a more step by step approach, including collecting screenshots, viewing logs and learning more about your configuration so we can identify the cause of this problem. Chances are the issue can be resolved quickly with a phone call (although we won't know for sure until we dig deep into the problem).

If I'm correct...you should get one "free" incident with the purchase of the upgrade. I've been speaking to Tech Support on the phone as well as trying to get answers here on the forum. And Customer Service puts me through to Tech Support each time I call (so far) because it's the same "incident"...I'm still trying to get the dang thing to work! Just give your customer number when you call. Good luck!

Quote:

Why should I have to pay $69.95 to get a problem with your software resolved. That's what I was told it would cost to open an incident. I only paid $50.00 for the upgrade.

The forum is not an official means of contacting Dantz Technical Support and not all issues can be solved through this medium. Retrospect was working with your drive before your system was reinstalled, and it may take a call to technical support to determine what has changed in your configuration that is no longer allowing the drive to be seen.

Try the drive on another computer - this will isolate whether the problem is with the drive or with the computer. Is the drive seen by Retrospect on another computer? Try a different USB cable - make sure the drive is plugged in directly to the computer and not routed through a hub or adapter.

I said...

" Why should I have to pay $69.95 to get a problem with your software resolved. That's what I was told it would cost to open an incident. I only paid $50.00 for the upgrade."

That still doesn't explain why I have to pay more then the cost of the upgrade to get a problem resolved. That's ridiculous. I work for a software company also in product support and if I told my customers that every time they had a problem they would have to pay "more then the cost to upgrade or half the cost of the product" to even open an incident, I'd be laughed out of business. If I upgrade again "It's only been 9 months since the last one" do I get any free support?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived