Hang on Catalog Update

Man, I can't buy a break here (literally, given what I paid for this "upgrade"). Now that we have identified a way to backup our systems, I'm getting a hang when Retropsect is updating the catalog. It seems to happen most frequently when backing up our OSX server via the client software. Here's what we've got:

Backup Server

Mac OS 9.2.2

B&W G3 256mb RAM (150mb dedicated to Retrospect)

Initio MilesBlueNote SCSI card with Sony TSL-SA300C AIT1 Autoloader which functioned fine under 4.3

OSX Server 10.1.3 with 5.x retrospect client

512mb RAM

running Mac/Windows file sharing, Filemaker Pro 5.5 server, and PrimeBase database server

Once the unit hangs, the only thing I can do is a force reboot from the front of the unit (trying to force quit Retrospect hangs the machine completely). When I looked at the logs, Retrospect was complaining that the system time was 4 seconds different than it expected it to be. That was the last line in the log before the hang.

Another day, another (1000) bug(s). :-(

>Does it only hang on that client? Is it able to back up (and update the catalog) on

>other clients successfully? What about local backups? Have you tried other backup sets?

This is the only client so far that has been a problem. One other OSX client works fine, but this is an OSX server box that's giving us a problem. Local backups of the OS9 partition work fine. I haven't tried other backup sets. I'm still trying to stuggle throught my elem.c errors (which just happened backing up ASIP server).

I'm running Retrospect 5 on OS 9.1 on a PowerMac 7600. I have a G4 running OS X with a 60 GB hard drive that I foolishly did partition when it was brand new. So now I'm attempting to backup 35 GB of files. Neither Retrospect 4 nor 5 can handle this much at one time. The actual backup and compare take comparatively little time. But the preparation and cleanup operations seem to take forever.

For example, saving the catalog between backup and compare and cleaning up at the end take 1-2 hours each. Retrospect's checkerboard cursor seems to be hung during this time, but with enough patience you can actually see the black dot jump move.

-- Ward

Archived