?Sorry, no tape storage devices found?: VXA Ecrix Firewire

Retrospect does not seem to recognize my VXA Ecrix Firewire tape back-up device. The only way I can get it to work is to shutdown, turn on the Ecrix, wait a bit, and then reboot and lauch Retrospect. Is there a way to just turn on the VXA Ecrix and launch Retrospect and get Retrospect to find my tape drive without rebooting?

Specifically, I click ?Immediate Backup?, ?Backup?, ?OK? (in response to ?Really Execute? query) and then consistently get the message ?Sorry, no tape storage devices found?. I do not see the Ecrix listed under under Apple System Profiler.

Details: Running OS 10.2.6 and Retrospect 5.0.238 and driver update 3.5.104. Hardware is a G4 867 MHz with 512 MB RAM. I am backing up to 33/66 GB VXA (Ecrix) tapes via Firewire.

Thank you!

Dantz has seen several cases where tape drives are not visible to Retrospect running in Mac OS X v10.2. This is due to a timing issue with tape drives not responding quickly enough during device discovery. Apple has been made aware of this issue. Until this issue is resolved by Apple, turning the tape drive on several seconds before starting the computer should allow Retrospect to see the drive.

Archived