Help: Retrospect Server cause OSX panic

Let me try this again ... I posted this with an incorrect title before

I installed the newest Retrospect Server on my OSX machine running 10.1.3 (384 Meg RAM).

When retrospect starts to backup a client, the backup begins and then the server crashes into the unix kernal panic listing the following error text:

"panic (cpu 0): SCSI (Adaptec 78XX) Max S/G segments exceeded ..."

Can someone help us with this error.

I am using a SCSI Sony SDX-300C drive version 400 with the following driver: AIT DC(1.35) on a PowerPC - G3 desktop. This set up worked fine for retrospect 4.3

You don't provide a complete hardware list, but the magic word that stands out to me is "Adaptec."

SCSI is still a moving target under OSX, and there is a lot of hardware that works under OS9 but does not work under OS X.

Incompatible SCSI cards cause kernal panics when Retrospect attempts to access them.

I'd suggest checking the Adaptec web site for information on OS X compatibility with their cards:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/markeditorial.html?cat=%2fTechnology%2fMacintosh&prodkey=mac_osx_info&type=Technology

If you're getting that error message, you're using an Apple-supplied driver for your Adaptec card. The Apple drivers are based on fairly old code and, in particular, don't handle very large SCSI transfers well.

Luckily, the "78xx" indicates that you have a 2906/2930 card. Since Adaptec sells the same card in the retail channel, they have an updated Mac OS X driver, which was carefully designed to support very large SCSI transfers correctly. :-)

If you download and install Adaptec's driver for the 2930, I think your problems will go away. (If they don't, contact Adaptec's tech support.)

Hope this helps!

-- anton (ex-adaptec engineer)

Archived