Retro client hangs Windows 2000

-Retrospect Workgroup edition running on an xServe with 10.2.6 (OS X Server) installed. Backup device is a dedicated hard disk in the xServe.

I installed the client onto a Windows 2000 (SP 2) PC and made a script in Retrospect on the xServe to back up certain drives on the PC. Each time it runs, it hangs the PC. Hard. It takes the power button to kill it (ctrl + alt + del doesn't even work). Just a total freeze. It counts the files/folders but then hangs when it actually starts to copy the files (about 14 GB of stuff, give or take).

I've tried this twice and it has hung both times. The xServe continues to run fine, however. No problems there.

I also installed the client software on a WinXP (SP 1) machine and backups work fine for that machine, so it is just the Win2k box that is having problems.

I reinstalled the drivers for the gigabit NIC and reinstalled the retrospect client software and am about to give it another try, but I'm not too confident that it will be any better.

Any thoughts or known issues I should be aware of? This is seriously bothering me as I've mostly always had reliable performance from Retrospect.

Thanks,

Matt

Which version of Retrospect?

Which version of the client software?

Reinstall the TCP/IP protocol through the Local Area Connection.

Check the NIC vendor site for updated drivers. For testing, try a different NIC if possible.

Try a direct crossover cable between the server and the client to see if the problem is with this segment of the network, or something on the client machine itself.

Quit any unnecessary programs and processes before the backup to help rule out a conflict.

Make sure the machine is not going to sleep during the backup.

Retrospect 5.0.238, driver update 3.5

Windows client version 6.0

I reinstalled the drivers for the enet card on the PC with the latest available version from the manufacturer's web site (Asante GigaNIC). I suppose that I could move the machine onto our old 100 BaseT network and use the onboard adapter as another method of troubleshooting.

After I reinstalled (both the new drivers and the retro. client again) I tried to have the xServe back up just a single folder on it (one of the user folders). It was only 300MB of data, but it didn't finish. In fact, it didn't even really start. It counted the folders/files and then brought up the progress bar window but didn't go anywhere. It displayed the Net Retry message and then gave up. This time, though, the PC didn't crash. I suppose that's progress - not much, but something anyway.

I'll give your other suggestions a try next week if the problem persists.

-Matt

Quote:

Any thoughts or known issues I should be aware of?

My first guess is corrupt disk/file on the client.

If it is a particular file, you can narrow it down using SubVolumes for the backup, but I suggest first you run some disk utility software in the hopes of confirming and maybe even fixing the issue.

Well, I had Win2k check all the drives (took FOREVER to scan our 500 GB RAID). The computer automatically rebooted once during the whole process, so I'm not sure why that happened, but on the second pass it made it through okay.

After all that, the result is still the same - no backup from Retrospect. However, I also noticed that didn't get reliable copies (uploads) to the server through Windows Explorer, so I think it is a driver issue with the gigabit card in the Windows box.

I have posted in Asante's forum (using their GigaNIX adapter in it) so I guess I will see how that goes.

I was able to get Retrospect to back the machine up by plugging back into the onboard 10/100. No fuss, no muss. Just slow(er). So, until I get the driver issue worked out (either with a new driver from Asante or a switch to a different brand/manufacturer's card) I'm stuck at 100 BaseT speed. It could be worse, I suppose.

Any recommendations for a good gigabit PCI card in case I have to return the Asante card?

Thanks,

Matt

Archived