-1017 errors on source files

PeterN

Please help...

I have been using RE for a year or so without problems. I recently upgraded my PC with a larger C drive. I use a second hard disk and the immediate duplicate function. After the upgrade retrospect fails, repeatedly complaining about multiple -1017 errors when writing to the _restore folder of the source disk.

I have tried turning Windows ME system restore off but that doesn't help.

Why is retrospect trying to write to the source disk? Surely it should be reading files from there.

Why is it trying to write in the windows ME _restore folder?

How did this happen and how can I turn it off?

Thanks

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Amy,

Here's the log text:

+ Retrospect Express version 5.15

Launched at 5/15/2003 5:03 PM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 2.1

+ Executing Immediate Duplicate at 5/15/2003 5:05 PM

To volume 60g master (D:)...

- 5/15/2003 5:05:01 PM: Copying 60g master (C:)

File "C:\_RESTORE\DISKCFG.DAT": can't write, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\_RESTORE\DSINFO.DAT": can't write, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\_RESTORE\VxDMon.cfg": can't write, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\_RESTORE\VxDMon.dat": can't write, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

Trouble writing files, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

5/15/2003 5:05:02 PM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 190 files, 37.3 MB

Completed: 6 files, 164 KB

Performance: 9.6 MB/minute

Quit at 5/15/2003 5:09 PM

By a tortuous method I have been able to access an old backup of the retrospect folder on my PC (before the upgrade). When I run retrospect from that I don't get these errors. I'm not sure why retrospect didn't like being copied onto the new disk. Perhaps it is a security feature :-) .Anyway I am up and running again.

Wait a minute - could it be that the two disks have the same name despite being C: and D:? I had them configured as a RAID mirror for a while so they looked identical.

Is that it?

Peter

You're doing a duplicate which is copying the source files to the destination drive. The operating system is not allowing Retrospect to write the listed files to the destination drive. It is not try to write to your C: (source) drive.

Archived