Hi, I'm trying to get to the bottom line on what exactly are the pros & cons to having the "ignore privileges on this volume" checkmark checked. From what I understand, Retrospect won't 'copy' privileges on a volume that has this checkmark checked. What problems could this pose in the future??

We have a second hard drive in my machine that we use as our common "shared" volume (or virtual 'server' volume) in a small 4 computer network. It was becoming such a pain to always have to go in and fix permissions every time someone placed a file or folder on this disk, so we're trying the "ignore privileges" option. This is described pretty vaguely on Apple's website, but I remember getting warnings from Retrospect about this. What type of problems will this create for us when backing up or restoring files?

We are a small office, so we all need to have access to the files placed on this 'shared' volume (security isn't an issue). I wish Apple hadn't made it so hard for small workgroups to function together like we used to be able to.

Quote:

What type of problems will this create for us when backing up or restoring files?

We are a small office, so we all need to have access to the files placed on this 'shared' volume (security isn't an issue).

Sounds like you're fine to ignore ownership on the drive.

When/if you Restore files using the Files/Folders Restore option, Retrospect will give your Restored files a default ownership setting; owned by the current Finder user and read/writable by the "admin" group (which is larger then just administrative users).

Archived