Can't Use Open File Backup... Error 1017 (insufficient permissions)

Running Retrospect Multi-Server 6.0.206 and Driver 3.8.106 on a Win 2000 Adv. Server (sp3) box.

Server running Retrospect was set to do a FILE backup of Server's own local drives to a USB drive on Remote. Backup ran, but received error message: "Can't use Open File Backup option for [local source drives], error -1017 (insufficient permssions)." If I understand this, it has nothing to do with the permissions on the target.

If Retrospect is running under the administrator's account which has permissions to everything under the sun, then how is it that it can't have permission to lock it's own local files for Open File Backup?

Replying to my own message...

>>If Retrospect is running under the administrator's account

>>which has permissions to everything under the sun,

>>then how is it that it can't have permission to lock it's

>>own local files for Open File Backup?

I *assume* that Retrospect is running under the administrator's account, but I'm not sure. I know that administrator is logged in when it runs.

How can I tell what account under which Retrospect runs?

How can I change the account under which Retrospect runs?

No, I know that it was installed as Administrator, because I always install everything while logged in as Administrator. What I didn't know, was whether Retrospect was running AS Administrator. As it turned out (discovered since my last post), the Retrospect Launcher Service was running as localsystem. I changed it to execute as Administrator. We'll see tonight whether it makes a lick of difference.

Retrospect Knowledge Base article 26602

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=26602

says (for Win2000/XP):

1. Open the Services Control Panel under Administrative Tools.

2. Select Retrospect Launcher, stop the service and then click the Startup button.

3. In the “Log On As” section select This Account. LocalSystem will appear in the field to the right.

4. Change “LocalSystem” to the account you want to use and then enter your password in the two password fields.

5. Restart the Launcher Service

Retrospect 6.5 and later include an option to configure Retrospect to run under a specific user account. This should allow a backup of a mapped volume without needing to modify the launcher service.

Archived