Retrospect Professional won't recognize OnStream DI 30 FAST Tape Drive

c45207

Retrospect Professional won't recognize my OnStream DI 30 FAST Tape Drive. When I go to the Devices page (Configure -> Devices) and click on Environment, I get the following:

<table>

<tr>

<th>ID</th>

<th>Vendor</th>

<th>Product</th>

<th>Version</th>

<th>Driver</th>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>0:0</td>

<td>ST380021</td>

<td>A</td>

<td>3.01</td>

<td> empty </td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>1:1</td>

<td>HL-DT-ST</td>

<td>CD-RW GCE-8160B</td>

<td>2.11</td>

<td> Hitachi-LG CD-RW(1.53)</td>

</tr>

</table>

The item at 0:0 is my tape drive. When I try to backup to it, Retrospect responds, "Sorry, no tape storage devices found."

Any suggestions?

The item at 0:0 does not look like an OnStream DI-30 FAST tape drive. It looks like a Seagate Barracuda hard disk drive.

Configure your Hitachi CD-RW drive as a master and connect it to your secondary IDE channel.

Configure your OnStream DI-30 FAST tape drive as a slave and connected it to your secondary IDE chanel as well.

If all is OK you should see the OnStream DI-30 FAST tape drive at 1:1. That is how my tape drive is configured (different hard drive and CD-RW) and Retrospect has no trouble seeing it.

John

Quote:

Make sure the drive is configured to be the Master drive on the IDE channel.

Quote:

Configure your Hitachi CD-RW drive as a master and connect it to your secondary IDE channel.

Configure your OnStream DI-30 FAST tape drive as a slave and connected it to your secondary IDE chanel as well.

A few questions:

• Should the OnStream driver be installed?
  • Should the OnStream software (OneSafe) be installed?
  • Should the drive be master or slave? I've gotten confligting information.

Quote:

Quote:

Make sure the drive is configured to be the Master drive on the IDE channel.

Quote:

A few questions:

• Should the OnStream driver be installed?
  • Should the OnStream software (OneSafe) be installed?
  • Should the drive be master or slave? I've gotten confligting information.

From past experience I did not see any interference between the OnStream driver and Retrospect. However, there is no need for the OnStream driver if you use Retrospect. My DI-30 FAST drive shows up in Device Manager under the "Other" category.

When it comes to the OneSafe software, that is another story. OneSafe probably grabs control of the tape drive and this will give you problems.

As far as having the drive configured as a Master or a Slave it does not really matter as long as it does not conflict with another IDE device on the controller. If the OnStream tape drive is the only device on the controller it has to be configured as a master. Usually CD-ROM and CD-RW drives are configured as master. The OnStream drive comes from the factory configured as slave.

You should not connect the OnStream tape drive on the same controller (cable) as your hard drive.

John

Archived