RDU 3.8 Makes for Longer Backups???

FuzzyJohn

I am using the OnStream DI-30 FAST tape drive. Ever since I downloaded and installed RDU 3.8 I noticed that backups take longer than before. The change seems to be that after backing up each volume (4 in my case) the tape is rewound to the beginning before starting the verify for that volume. In the past the tape was rewound only to where the current backup for that particular volume started. In Retrospect is writing to the far end area of the tape these extra winding and rewinding steps can take a long time. In my case this has effectively double the amount of time to do a normal backup (from 15 minutes to a little over 30 minutes).

Is my observation correct or should I start looking somewhere else? Installing the RDU 3.8 drive is the only change I made to my system.

If this is correct, any reason for the change? And any chance to make it back the way it was in earlier RDU versions?

John

The following notes are displayed in our hardware support database:

There is an incompatibiltiy with the OnStream Echo drives and Retrospect RDU 3.4.106 and later. Users will encounter -105 errors when comparing tapes. Dantz is working to resolve this problem. In the meantime, DI-30 users should remove the RDU from their systems, this drive will work perfectly with Retrospect 6.0 and no RDU.

Quote:

The following notes are displayed in our hardware support database:

There is an incompatibiltiy with the OnStream Echo drives and Retrospect RDU 3.4.106 and later. Users will encounter -105 errors when comparing tapes. Dantz is working to resolve this problem. In the meantime, DI-30 users should remove the RDU from their systems, this drive will work perfectly with Retrospect 6.0 and no RDU.

Thank you for mentioning this. I just want to let you know that so far I have not experienced that error. Between home and work I run Retrospect 6 Professional with OnStream DI-30 and DI-30 FAST drives with RDU v3.7 on 6 different machines. I will keep an eye on them though.

John

Archived