Retrospect stops working when firewall is enabled

Hello all,

I've tried many different possible workarounds for this issue, but every single one has failed.

Thusly I'm giving this forum a try - before contacting Dantz's support.

Mac OS X Server version: 10.2.5

Retrospect Workgroup version: 5.0.238

The backup sets are working fine when OS X's built-in firewall is disabled. However, as soon as I enable the firewall, Retrospect fails to backup to my local ftp server. Naturally, the necessary port(s) are allowed/open, the filters are applied to the UDP ports as well. Check this out, opening up all the ports still doesn't do it! Bug?

I know Retrospect uses tcp 497 and udp 497 for traffic.

I've tried with several ftp servers as well, on different platforms.

No matter the settings, no matter what I do, the ftp connection times out. Disabling the firewall immediately solves the problem and the ftp backup works fine.

I've even gone as far as downgrading OS X Server to 10.2.4 and 10.2.3. Still doesn't work.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely yours

Jon Adolfsson

jon@mac.se

Quote:

The backup sets are working fine when OS X's built-in firewall is disabled. However, as soon as I enable the firewall, Retrospect fails to backup to my local ftp server. Naturally, the necessary port(s) are allowed/open, the filters are applied to the UDP ports as well. Check this out, opening up all the ports still doesn't do it! Bug?

I know Retrospect uses tcp 497 and udp 497 for traffic.

Retrospect uses those ports for Retrospect client-server communication, but for an internet (ftp) backup set I expect that the ftp ports are used.

In theory a passive ftp connection would go through the firewall ok, but it looks like Retrospect uses an active ftp connection. I think this means your computer has to accept incoming ftp connections (which are initiated by the remote host in response to connections from your computer). With the Apple firewall, try turning on the ftp server to get the ports open. Help Viewer has this to say about "Using a firewall to protect your computer":

Quote:

You can't edit the ports used by built-in services. They are enabled and disabled automatically when you turn the corresponding service on or off in the Services tab.

Archived