Recycle multiple tape sets

I have two sets as following:

1-week1, 2-week1, 3-week1 and

1-week2, 2-week2, 3-week2

...comprising six individual tapes.

If I schdule a recycle backup for one of these sets, it asks for the respective 1- tape correctly and recycles it. However, when that tape fills and it requests a 2-tape, upon inserting the 2-tape it shows up with a grey M member logo, which I assume is becuase the set was recycled.

However, in order for the backup operation to continue, the 2- tape must be selected and "proceed" clicked before it will continue. This then recurrs with 3- tape when 2- fills.

Does a recycle erase the first tape of a set and then "forget" the other tapes that were in that set? If that is the case, do the 2- and 3- tapes have to be selected and proceed clicked on an ongoing basis, as normal Dantz operation?

I have a user who swaps tapes and has no access to the gui on this machine to click anything in Dantz or otherwise.

Please let me know if this is normal Recycle behavior by design, because if so, it breaks Retrospect's ability to run unattended.

Quote:

However, when that tape fills and it requests a 2-tape, upon inserting the 2-tape it shows up with a grey M member logo, which I assume is becuase the set was recycled.

Correct - the tape has Retrospect data, but not a recognized catalog on this computer (because it was recycled).

Quote:

However, in order for the backup operation to continue, the 2- tape must be selected and "proceed" clicked before it will continue. This then recurrs with 3- tape when 2- fills.

Does a recycle erase the first tape of a set and then "forget" the other tapes that were in that set? If that is the case, do the 2- and 3- tapes have to be selected and proceed clicked on an ongoing basis, as normal Dantz operation?

If the tape is available when requested, as in a tape library or in chained tape drives, Retrospect will automatically grab the tape, erase it and continue writing. If the correct tape is not found automatically, Retrospect will go into interactive mode and wait for instruction from the user. Any tape inserted at that point will require the user to "Proceed."

This prevents the product from running unattended as advertised. The presales documentation does not say "autoloader required for unattended operation".

This problem now prevents us from using this product without me logging in remotely three times a week to manually erase tapes.

What do you suggest? Can Dantz offer a refund for our Dantz products?

Quote:

This prevents the product from running unattended as advertised. The presales documentation does not say "autoloader required for unattended operation".

Retrospect is an Administrator level program, requiring administer level permissions and access. The product is running unattended. It launches itself, starts the backup and copies data. An autoloader is not required for unattended operation.

Try turning on "Minimal erase confirmation" through Configure > Preferences > Media > Erasure.

The Retrospect software is running at administrator-level service.

The option for minimal erase confirmation is already selected.

I define unattended as the ability to complete a scheduled backup job without interaction aside from tape inserts.

I have worked around the other problems with Retrospect as previously posted, but now I have been presented with this virtual brick wall usability 'feature'.

I welcome further suggestions, thanks.

Just throwing in my hat at this being a show stopper for me as well. We need a way to define overflow slots in the autochanger that any script will pick up, erase, and add to a backup set if the current tapes in the set fill up.

Oh also, even when it prompts the administrator for the next tape to you, you can't actually choose the tape in the autoloader slot on a Dell 122T LTO. I have <untitled>--erased tapes sitting in several slots, but when I pick them, I am unable to proceed. Dantz seems to only recognize the tapes in the drive, not in the autoloader.

Quote:

We need a way to define overflow slots in the autochanger that any script will pick up, erase, and add to a backup set if the current tapes in the set fill up.

Retrospect will not erase just any tape in the drive by design. In order for Retrospect to auomatically erase a tape, it must be a member of the backup set being recycled and it must be named correctly. For example, if you are recycling Backup Set A, Retrospect will automatically take a blank tape or the 1-Backup Set A tape that is associated with the catalog being recycled. A tape with the same name, but different creation date will not be automatically erased.

Quote:

Oh also, even when it prompts the administrator for the next tape to you, you can't actually choose the tape in the autoloader slot on a Dell 122T LTO. I have <untitled>--erased tapes sitting in several slots, but when I pick them, I am unable to proceed. Dantz seems to only recognize the tapes in the drive, not in the autoloader

Are you doing Immediate or Automatted backups?

Whether attended or not, immediate or scheduled, once retrospect requests a tape because it needs more than what is in the pool, it pops up a dialogue asking for a tape, and when I click on one of my empty tapes in the changer, the proceed button does not highlite; but instead only allows me to proceed if the tape selected is currently loaded into the drive

Archived