selectors not doing as planned

Hi

Running Retrospect 5.0238 server edition on Mac OS 10.2.4...

We have a selector set to back up just the contents of OS X Users folders. When we run "check selector" it shows that the backup would be as expected plus a few other low level folders that also meet the same criteria. When the script is chosen to run under backup server the snapshots show that it backs up everthing including Applications etc. What could be wrong?

Help much appreciated.

Rob

A selector must scan the entire source to determine which files need to be backed up. If your source is the hard drive, for example, and the selector includes the User's folder, Retrospect will still scan the entire source to find files that meet the criteria you have set. Only the actual 'found' files will be copied to the backup set.

The problem is not the scan of the whole drive but a real backup of many folders such as applications which it should not back up. I can see these if i try to do an immediate restore. lots of extra folders are backed up which the script should exclude

Rob

Quote:

The problem is not the scan of the whole drive but a real backup of many folders such as applications which it should not back up. I can see these if i try to do an immediate restore. lots of extra folders are backed up which the script should exclude

The Restore may be misleading for deciding what got backed up. If the backup (correctly) included a file from machine A, and saw the same file on machine B while processing the selection conditions, it will still offer to restore the file whether or not the file was excluded on machine B. I was surprised the first time this happened, but decided it is a feature not a bug! It is sensible for Retrospect to offer all the files available, no matter how they ended up on tape.

A convenient way to see what really got backed up is the Contents button in the Reports tab. Does this show extra folders being backed up?

Hi

Thanks for the help.

Checked as you suggested and indeed only what we want backed up is listed. If I understand what you said about files being available elsewhere correctly you would expect that one of our other servers is backing up the extra files somewhere else. This is not the case as each client Mac is only backed up on one Retrospect Server. Or do you mean that Retrospect is offering to restore other things such as apps with copies it has taken from other clients?

best regards

Rob

Snapshots have no knowledge of selectors - they are independent from one another. Retrospect will use the Selector to decide which files to backup. The files are copied and then a snapshot is created based on how the source looks at the time. When looking at the snapshot for restore, the snapshot will build itself with all available files in the backup set which correspond to files in the snapshot. Hope that makes sense!

Archived