"Storage Devices" tab lists "No media" but tapes are present

My "Storage Devices" tab lists "No media" even when tapes are present. It does see and list my tape drive correctly. Have you seen this?

PowerMac G3 BW Server

now has OS 10.25 (not-server) installed

Adaptec 2940U2W

Retrospect 5.0.238

Retrospect Driver Update 3.4

Sony AIT Auto Loader Unit TSL-SA500C

Thanks for any help!

Also the tapes are a known quanity and I have used two different sets.

I have also used two tape drives and two Adaptec cards with the same results. I other tape drive was an older Seagate Sidewinder STL6200000W. The other Adaptec card was an unknown (System profiler just listed the card as Adaptec and the type as SCCI).

This is a freshly installed system.

I didn't find what you were talking about but I did start playing with the tape drive. I selected tape one and pressed enter and it became reconized by Retrospect. But I still couldn't scan the all the media. My options where limited to "Eject", "Device Status", and "Erase..."

But when I pressed eject in Retrospect the tape drive loads tape two (instead of ejecting) and the buttons go back to the way they started with Device Status as my only option.

Any more thoughts. I played with the loader last night and it's almost like Retrospect thinks my Sony AIT Auto Loader Unit TSL-SA500C is a single tape drive. This drive works with our other back-up server that runs Windows and Retrospect 5.6

I need to download the instructions for this thing. I will post back when I find it.

Adaptec 2940U2W

This card is not supported by Dantz in OS X. It failed in all testing done in our labs. For a list of supported SCSI cards, please see:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27381

The card is also not supported by Adaptec in OS X:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/supporteditorial.html?sess=no&language=English+US&supportCat=/Product/APD-2940U2W&prodkey=mac_osx_info&cat=/Product/APD-2940U2W

Archived