Open File Backup Hanging - Description of problem?

I'm reading of quite a few people having their machines hanging on reboot/shutdown if they have the Open File Backup option installed.. a couple of questions that I am hoping to get answered as I'm ready to pull the trigger on $4000 worth of Dantz product!

1. Is there a resolution to this problem yet?

2. Does this happen in every case of having the open file option installed?

3. If it doesn't happen in every case, what are the circumstances under which it happens?

4. I assume this issue is ONLY related to the installed server instance of Retrospect, and not the remote servers being backed up??

Thanks for any info that can be provided!

-Dave

dave@global-image.com

1) Most reported open file issues are fixed in our next version, and confirmed by the beta testers. Add yourself to the ROFF notify (which you probably saw in some other posts) to be notified when the fixes are available.

2) Not at all. Only a small handful of users have seen issues. If you have other Open File Filter software installed, like St. Bernard OFM, then you need to remove it before using Retrospect.

3) See above. We have also seen issues with ClearCase installed.

Although my computer never hung (using RS for about 40 days) because of Retrospect (all addons) I do get open file errors (or error that should not be there when OFO is working) in my logs.

The best thing you can do is to get RS product from place offering 30 day money back guarantee and test it yourself under your environment.

Mikee

Would it be possible to post a link to this sign-up? I've had problems with Open-File backup from the get-go, and I think I signed up for it. However, I have yet to get any announcements.

Either nothing has happened, or something happened to my sign-up. (Maybe my MailWasher thinks its spam?) confused.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased my backup software (spending a fair sum in te process) two months ago, and it has never worked as advertised, so I signed up for this list that promised a solution.

Now the solution is an upgrade, for which I am supposed to pay another $439?

This can't be right. Am I missing something?

I bought a system in good faith 2 months ago, expecting it to work, and it does not. Rather than ask for a refund, I wait for the promised solution, which is then offered up for $439?

Also, I purchased the open file backup a couple of weeks after I bought the main program, so does that leave me out in the cold?

Hopefully, someone at Dantz will come to their senses.

Thank you.

(Incidentally, when I put my serial number for the disaster recovery module, I got an error message that it was not legit. I double-checked, and it is.)

I have Retrospect Multi-Server 6.0, with Open File Backup, Exchange Agent, and Disaster Recovery. I've already described the problem I had when I entered my serial number for Disaster Recovery, and the upgrade system told me that serial number did not go with any software feature at Dantz. (But I reiterate here, just in case anyone wants to take a stab at it. However, that is not the main thrust of this message.)

In any event, I did receive an upgrade to version 6.5 - a file which I assume contains all of the components I was already licensed for, now in version 6.5. However, there are a few issues with my upgrade message that have me confused.

In my message from Dantz Order fulfillment, there is a table with all four components listed in column one, and new serial numbers for each listed in column two.

Column 3 provides a path for obtaining the upgrade file that corresponds with each feature, and this is where it gets weird.

- First of all, the only row with any entry in column three at all is the first one, which is for the main Retrospect Program.

Does this mean that all of my component upgrades are contained within the Main program upgrade file?

- Secondly, this main program upgrade file is referenced in column one as being "ESD Retrospect Multi Server UPG WIN 6.0" and it has a name "retrospect_60.exe ".

My understanding is that this is supposed to be version 6.5. None of the other column one listings use "6.0" in their descriptions - they all list "6.5". Naming convention to the contrary, is that understanding correct?

- My third point is really a rehash of my first one, and that is, even though I have item descriptions and serial numbers in each of the other rows, there is no column three file URL to go with them, nor are there any directions for obtaining those components.

So other than obtaining the file listed in row one, column 3, there are no other files I need to obtain for a full upgrade of my system, as listed at the top of this message?

-

There is one other point that may not be important, but as long as I am here, I wanted to repeat it from an earlier message, and that is, I went to the upgrade purchase page, and entered all of my serial numbers for each component. Each of them took, EXCEPT the DISASTER RECOVERY MODULE. When I entered that serial number, the upgrade system told me it was not a valid serial number. However, I triple-checked against my records and against the listing from inside Retrospect, and the serial number I entered was indeed accurate.

Does this portend problems for my upgrade?

Thank you for your help. Hopefully, by getting all the issues out there at once, I won't have to keep pestering people.

.... whenever you establish contact with a customer, where any specific problems regarding that communique cannot be addressed through the forums, offer an easy-to-find (and clearly identified) response pathway.

I tried responding to the message in question directly at first, but when no response was forthcoming after several hours, I was convinced that it would not go anywhere. The message itself had a phone number, but no other way of contacting Dantz, except the base url of this website. I also tried responding through private channels to those who had contacted me through those same private channels, but found those channels blocked.

Of course, I understood that you would not want specific license codes announced on a public forum, which is why I didn't list any. All I listed was a file name (and I deliberately omitted the path to getting that file.

The bottom line is that I would have preferred to go another Internet route, but there was none that I could identify with any reasonable effort. When Dantz is good enough to contact a customer through private channels, it is this customer's opinion and personal experience that offering a return pathway that functions is sometimes beneficial, and is something Dantz may want to consider in the future.

Thank you again.

Archived