Apple SuperDrive Can't open/close door

I just upgrade from Express to Desktop on my iMac 15" flat screen. I setup the system to do a complete dvd-r backup of my 'Users' folder (about 6GB) but agfter the 1st dvd ejected there was no way to close the door for the 2nd dvd. This only happens within Retrospect.

Am I missing something here. I have the latest Apple superdrive drivers and I assume that I have the latest Retrospect stuff since I downloaded yesterday.

Anyone have this problem?

I never knew that I could do that on my Mac since it requires a very hard push which is unlike any other cd/dvd drive that I own either on another computer or audio system.

I just assumed I had to use the button. Boy do I feel really stupid and I consider myself very technical.

thanks

Actually, they are obeying Apple's rules. In order to do its thing, Retrospect has to take over the disc driver. The stock Apple disc driver doesn't allow for everything that Retrospect needs to do.

However, it's an all or nothing thing. Having taken over, it has to do everything itself. Of course, it only owns the disc drive, not the keyboard, where the disc eject button lives...

At least, that's my understanding of it. Reading between the lines I'd guess that Dantz try very hard to do the right thing, but some of the hooks they need just aren't in Mac OS X yet, though Apple does seem to be improving them with each release.

• 1 month later...

You are correct. This kind of program must take over the device driver, which means that the keyboard's driver ends up sending the open/close request into la-la land.

Nevertheless, Dantz can correct this. The first OS X releases of Toast also had this problem, but it was later fixed. I suspect they have to explicitly intercept the Eject key and then explicitly send tray open/close commands to the drive. If intercepting the keyboard is too difficult for some reason, they could also put a "close" button on appropriate dialog boxes and explicitly issue tray-close commands.

I don't know why they haven't done so by now. It seems to me like this should be an easy thing to do.

Archived