Retrospect 5 stalls during network backup

Progress on the B&W upgraded machine...I don't get stalled in the net retry any more, after setting the energy saving preferences to the following: machine never sleep, hard drive never sleep, and separate sleep for display. I also did this for a beige machine which took care of a net retry stall on it also.

Oddly enough, the beige machine now has reasonable back up speed, but the B&W is SLOW. (1.9 MB/min)

By using Granet & Perfboard (http://www.pepsan.com/) I noticed the following behavior w/th B&W:

Initial large communication w/huge network collisions

Pause (on the order of 20-30 secs)

Smaller communication w/large number of collisions

Pause

Same as above, but decreasingly smaller

etc

Until the machine started to back up under normal conditions

The network uses a 10/100 hub, unmanaged of course, has no problems that I am aware of. I came across another thread that suggested there might be a "link speed or duplex problem." They indicated that this will display "a zillion collisions." Well, I'm not sure that I hit a zillion collisions, but I was working on it.

FYI, I cannot put the original processor back in the B&W, its over clocked in the beige machine! :-)

All I know for now, hope it helps someone...

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a 58 hour stall and lost a whole weekend worth of backups. This one was apparently a client hanging. (So similar end result but not necessarily identical to the Net Retry dialog stall, or the client computer crashed stall.)

Retrospect 5.0.205, Mac OS X 10.1.5, G4 DP450 MHz, 384 MB RAM

Retrospect was still sitting in the progress dialog when I arrived on Monday. When I switched to Retrospect, it terminated the backup itself.

Retrospect Client 5.0.528, Mac OS X 10.1.5

Client still showed: In use by "root". I could not connect to it from the server. Clicking the Off button in Retrospect Client hung the client until I killed pitond, which was using most of the CPU.

To add insult to injury, the volume being backing up at the time of the hang was a read-only mounted disk image...

• 4 weeks later...

Short version:

I am still having network stalls during network backups, making unattended backups an ordeal. Has anyone found any further tricks to avoid the many and varied ways in which Retrospect Server may stall indefinitely during network backup?

My current problem is with Mac OS X clients with disk images mounted.

Long version:

This week I lost one nightly backup and my entire weekend backup to indefinite stalls during network backup. I normally run three independent backup sets. I started new backup sets when I upgraded to Retrospect 5 in March, and still do not have three sets running over four months later. (Now the stall isn't solely responsible for this sorry state of affairs, but it is a big factor.)

When I first posted, it was normally one Mac OS 9 client that caused the problem. I moved on through a phase where it was various Mac OS 9 clients, then one particular Windows 98 client which would crash and stall the backup.

Now the latest three stalls over the last two weeks have been with three different Mac OS X clients, and each time the volume being backed up was a mounted desk image (which in theory is not meant to be backed up anyway!).

I did not notice a Net Retry on screen. The "Script execution terminated" time in each case is when I switched to Retrospect (and is well after when the script should have terminated if running normally).

Retrospect Server 5.0.205

Dual G4 450 MHz 512 MB RAM running Mac OS 10.1.5

Ecrix VXA-1 (2B78) connected to a Grappler 930U (pin configurations of unit and SCSI card match).

Retrospect client 5.0.528

Mac OS X 10.1.5

Three different G4 models (one is G4 800 MHz 384 MB RAM)

Warning: volume ElectricSheep 2.1b8 has the Ignore privileges setting enabled.

- 1/8/2002 3:03:43 AM: Copying ElectricSheep 2.1b8 on Dion MacX…

1/8/2002 3:05:05 AM: Comparing ElectricSheep 2.1b8 on Dion MacX…

1/8/2002 10:16:50 AM: Script execution terminated at specified stop time.

1/8/2002 3:05:05 AM: Execution incomplete.

Completed: 10 files, 605 KB

Performance: 0.1 MB/minute (0.8 copy, 0.1 compare)

Duration: 00:01:22 (00:00:42 idle/loading/preparing)

Warning: volume FAXstf X 10.0.4 has the Ignore privileges setting enabled.

- 8/8/2002 9:46:30 PM: Copying FAXstf X 10.0.4 on Graeme MacX…

8/8/2002 9:48:09 PM: Comparing FAXstf X 10.0.4 on Graeme MacX…

9/8/2002 10:39:39 AM: Script execution terminated at specified stop time.

8/8/2002 9:48:09 PM: Execution incomplete.

Completed: 41 files, 25.2 MB

Performance: 0.1 MB/minute (21.8 copy, 0.1 compare)

Duration: 00:01:39 (00:00:30 idle/loading/preparing)

Warning: volume iPod Software 1.2 Updater has the Ignore privileges setting enabled.

- 10/8/2002 7:38:55 AM: Copying iPod Software 1.2 Updater on MCM MacX…

10/8/2002 7:40:12 AM: Comparing iPod Software 1.2 Updater on MCM MacX…

12/8/2002 10:45:52 AM: Script execution terminated at specified stop time.

10/8/2002 7:40:12 AM: Execution incomplete.

Remaining: 15 files, 75 KB

Completed: 108 files, 7340 KB

Performance: 0.1 MB/minute (8.7 copy, 0.1 compare)

Duration: 00:01:17 (00:00:28 idle/loading/preparing)

In regards to the upgraded B&W, I was able to eliminate the network collisions by installing a NIC card.

The only way I have to back up this machine is by doing the following:

1. Start the back up process manually (the B&W is the first backed up)

2. Go to the B&W, wake it up, and do somethings that I know require disk access.

This has resulted in the back ups completing. Otherwise the client wouldn't back up. I no longer get the infinite hangs.

Archived