More Than One Snapshot (Again)

FuzzyJohn

I already brought up this issue back in December 2002. It happened again. It happened on 2 different computers, each with 4 drives that are backed up.

On both of these computers I did a recycle backup a week ago. Today I made a normal backup on both computers, the first backup after the recycle backup. Now when I go to the backup set properties, Snapshots tab, I can see that each of the 4 drives, on both computers, is listed twice:

Programs_1 (C:) John 04/05/2003 01:20 PM

Programs_1 (C:) John 04/11/2003 05:09 PM

Programs_2 (D:) John 04/05/2003 02:21 PM

Programs_2 (D:) John 04/11/2003 05:17 PM

Storage_1 (E:) John 04/05/2003 03:02 PM

Storage_1 (E:) John 04/11/2003 05:19 PM

Storage_2 (F:) John 04/05/2003 03:08 PM

Storage_2 (F:) John 04/11/2003 05:20 PM

The other computer has a similar display.

This causes the size of the backup set file to increase substantially everytime a snapshots is added this way.

There was no change made to the drive names. Why is this happening?

John

Retrospect will compare volumes based on many criteria, such as name, serial number, size, creation date, block allocation size, etc. to see if volume is the same. If any of these criteria have changed, the volume will be considered different.

Quote:

Retrospect will compare volumes based on many criteria, such as name, serial number, size, creation date, block allocation size, etc. to see if volume is the same. If any of these criteria have changed, the volume will be considered different.

If that is the case shouldn't I see the "previous" volumes grayed out when I look at volumes? In the past when I changed hard drives that happened, but this time that is not the case.

I also find it odd that this happened in the same day on 2 different computers, each having their hard drives partitioned in 4. Somehow the 8 drives changed some sort of information so that all 8 appeared different to Retrospect.

Archived