Spontaneous Reboot in Mid Backup

FuzzyJohn

Lately my PC running Windows XP Pro SP-1 started experiencing spontaneous reboots while Retrospect Professional 6 is running backing up to an OnStream DI-30 tape drive. This causes the tape to produce error 105 (Unexpected end of data) the next time I try to use it. There is no entry in the log expect for the unfinished backup session. On reboot Windows XP wants to send a report to Microsoft about the serious error that was detected. Microsoft reports back that this is a driver related issue and they do not have more information about this.

This happened after I started using RDU.RPX v3.7 but today I tried with RDU.RPX v3.6 and the same rthing happened.

Unfortunately I was not in front of the PC to see what it was doing at the time.

Anybody else seen something like this?

John

Retrospect does not load drivers at system startup, so I would not expect the RDU to be the cause. It is more likely that the Onstream driver in device manager could be an issue, or ASPI if it is installed.

Turn off options to reboot on crash within your PowerManagement settings. This might allow you a better chance to see what is going on when the crash happens.

Turn off virus protection also, to see if that has anything to do with this.

Quote:

Retrospect does not load drivers at system startup, so I would not expect the RDU to be the cause. It is more likely that the Onstream driver in device manager could be an issue, or ASPI if it is installed.

This has nothing to do with the system startup. The computer reboots while Retrospect is running. After the reboot Windows says that it recovered from a serious error and asks if I want to send the report to Microsoft. The OnStream driver is not loaded. The tape drive is shown in Device Manager in the "Other" category. No ASPI is installed. Retrospect is using NT Passthrough.

Quote:

Turn off options to reboot on crash within your PowerManagement settings. This might allow you a better chance to see what is going on when the crash happens.

Can you direct me where to do this? In looked in the Windows XP Control Panel | Power and I see nothing to turn off. Did you mean the Automatically Restart checkbox in the System Properties | Startup and Recovery?

Quote:

Turn off virus protection also, to see if that has anything to do with this.

While Norton Antivirus 2002 is installed, it is not running in Autoprotect Mode. In other words, it is turned off.

John

Quote:

As a test, to see if the problem is hardware related, try a backup to a disk backup set to a local or network drive. Does the computer reboot?

I did one better. I replaced the DI-30 drive with a DI-30 FAST drive. During the last test backup I made, I started to hear some sort of clicking, apparently from the tape drive. The Retrospect window seemed to refresh itself at about the same rate. After replacing the drive I was able to complete a full backup of about 8 GB on 4 partitions without any incident. I hope the problem was hardware related.

John

Archived