Schedules Not Running at Times

FuzzyJohn

Besides the problem with the different looks I posted in Retrospect Professional's Different Looks, the machine with Novell login sometimes does not run the scheduled scripts. The machine has a password protected screen saver. Is there any known issue between Retrospect and Novell login? I am having no problem on the machine that does not have Novell installed, even if the screen saver is password protected.

John

There are no known issues with this configuration. I'm not clear on what you mean by: Schedules Not Running at Times

Does it auto-launch at all? Are there any error messages? Does Retrospect attempt to run itself when you manually launch the program? Is there a message on the screen when this occurs? What other information can you provide?

Quote:

There are no known issues with this configuration. I'm not clear on what you mean by: Schedules Not Running at Times

Does it auto-launch at all? Are there any error messages? Does Retrospect attempt to run itself when you manually launch the program? Is there a message on the screen when this occurs? What other information can you provide?

The schedule simply fails to run. There are no messages. If I start Retrospect manually, then the scheduled backup will run. I have followed the instruction I found in the knowledge base and that seems to work for a few days. This is not my computer. It is one used by my boss and so far the only consistent thing I can see is that this happens when the computer is not used for a while (the screen saver comes on).

• 2 weeks later...

I will check the event log as soon as this happens again. Fortunately it has been some time now since I last had the problem.

If I remember right, when I manually launched Retrospect Professional, a few seconds later the scheudled script started to execute. After that it looked like all was OK for a few days when the schedule failed to execute again.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Check the Event Log for any possible error messages as to why the Retrospect Launcher service is failing.

If you turn the Retrospect Launcher Service on/off does the problem go away?

Amy, it happened again. The schedule which is set to run on Monday thru Friday stopped running on Friday, May 2, 2003. This morning when I manually launched Retrospect it automatically started to run the missed schedule from May 2.

I checked the Retrospect log and there were no entries after the last backup on May 1. I also checked the Windows Application and System Event logs and found no entries related to Retrsopect. I did not even see any entry showing that the Retrospect launcher started started (this is Windows 2000 Professional). But I also checked the other Windows 2000 machine that never had trouble running scheduled backups and I did not see the Launcher Service start entries either.

If I turn the Retrospect Launcher Service OFF and then back ON the problem goes away for a while.

John

I am having the same problem, running windows 2000 spk3 After I upgraded to Retrospect 6.5 it no longer auto-launches scheduled scripts, no error messages anywhere it just runs the script as soon as I launch the Retrospect Applications, needless to say it is really annoying

Okay I will reply to my own post, I worked out that that changing Laucher Service settings to login as a user caused the problem (this had to be done in Retrospect 6 allow back of Network shares) if you change it now it will not auto-launch.

I've run into the same problem on a W2K SP3 box after upgrading to RP6.5 (RP doesn't autolaunch). And I also had the Service user set to a non-"LocalSystem" account to allow network login. I'll try changing it to "LocalSystem" and see what happens.

Interestingly enough, this isn't a problem on an XP box (where the Service is still set to to an Admin-level user login because I never changed it after the RP6.5 upgrade), only under W2K.

And I'm also unable to use the Prefs/Security tab to change to the Admin-level login (RP6.5 keeps telling me my login in invalid. It's *not*--it's the correct username, password and workgroup machine name. I submitted the latter issue as another post). So between the Service launcher issue (can't use user) and the Security issue, I can't do network access with RP6.5 on a W2K box.

This is a pain in the a$$.

I wander if you lock your workstation or the screensaver locks it, maybe this is a problem?

I am going to try just logging off tonight.

Quote:

This is a pain in the a$$.

I wander if you lock your workstation or the screensaver locks it, maybe this is a problem?

I am going to try just logging off tonight.

In my case the screen saver locks the machine. But the problem is not consistent. The machine sitting next to the one with the problem (also a Win 2K SP-3 but without Novell) has never missed a schedule. And that machine has a screen saver that locks it too.

I have the exact same problem with over 6 different servers I maintain for 3 different companies!!!

All : Windows 2000 SP3

All : Retrospect 5.6 Windows

All : Retrospect Launcher IS started

They all will miss a launch, and then continue to miss until you run Retrospect manually!

No restart of the Launcher service is necessary. You have to run Retrospect, skip all the jobs that try to start up, and then close it and wait til the next schedule to startup automatically. It will then launch fine for 2 weeks or so and then mysteriously stop for no reason at all.

No information in Event Viewer

Archived