internal dvd drive not recognized for cdr restore

i created a backup set on cdr using an external scsi drive.

i can't get retrospect to verify or restore from the backup set using my mac's internal drive. i have a blue and white g3 mac with stock IDE apple dvd-ram drive. dvd-ram drive reads dvd's, cd's, cdr's, etc. with no problems outside of retrospect.

if i can't use the backup set i created on anything but the specific drive it was created, this seems like a MAJOR problem...

why can't retrospect read it's own cdr backup sets in any cd-rom-compatible device? *especially* a stock apple-brand device that shipped with my mac?

Retrospect requires that you use your CD-R/RW drive for all backup and restore operations. Retrospect created CDs are accessed only through the Retrospect application. They do not mount on the Mac OS or Windows Explorer desktop.

"Regular" CDs are usually written with a streaming method, and then "finalized" in an ISO9660, MacOS, UDF, or audio format. What this means is that special formatting is written to a disc that "closes" the disc to prevent further writing, and allows it to be read by CD-ROM devices.

Retrospect backup discs aren't finalized, and are not written in mountable format, so they cannot be read in a CD-ROM drive which requires "finalized" discs.

Archived