Retrospect 5.0 crashes my system

I just purchased and downloaded an upgrade to Retrospect 5.0. I de-installed the Beta

client which I had previously installed. I am using a Mac G4 with 512 MB of memory,

and my backup device is a Sony SDX-300C connected via a SCSI cable to an Adaptec 2940 card in the Mac. I have been using this configuration for a couple of years without problems;

I use the same tape drive (AIT-1 tapes) with a Unix server to do file system dumps without problems.

Upon installing this upgrade, I now find that the entire system crashes immediately after the display indicates that it has copied one file, mach.sym, 7K. This happens every time.

Has anyone seen this? There is no evidence of a hardware problem that I can see--this worked fine with the same hardware using Mac OS 9.2 and Retrospect 4. Is there perhaps a driver problem for the SDX-300C with Mac OS X? I can eject the tape and see status on the drive fine from the Retrospect application, and I also successfully erased it, but I can't back anything up to it.

This card is not supported by OS X, I'm afraid. From Adaptec's website:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/markeditorial.html?cat=%2fTechnology%2fMacintosh&prodkey=mac_osx_info&type=Technology

The following products have been discontinued and a software upgrade path for these products will not be provided. With the release of Mac OS X compatible drivers for all currently shipping PCI cards we are now in a position to update all of our SCSI PCI card product kits, when this process is complete we will then be able to begin offering an upgrade program for the following unsupported cards. This process is taking longer than expected, but we do continue to work on it. We apologize for the delay and any problems it may have created. Please check back for details.

* PowerDomain 2940UW

* PowerDomain 2940U2W

* PowerDomain 3940UW

* PowerDomain 3944UWD

* PowerDomain 2940W

If you purchased your Adaptec SCSI cards through Apple, please contact Apple for compliance information.

Archived