Backing up mounted volumes fails with -43

So, I've got 5.0 installed on my G4 running 10.1.3, and I'm trying to back up machines that are running 9.x and are mounted as AFP volumes on my desktop. Retrospect starts scanning the volume, gets part of the way through, and then puts up a dialog reporting that a -43 (file/folder not found) error has occurred. The scanning of that volume stops, and it continues to the next one.

I have no problems with the local X volumes, only the AFP-mounted ones from my 9 machines. Has anyone else seen this? The manual indicates that this should work as it always has.

If you are dealing with mounted volumes, you'll need to follow the guidelines in the Readme for backing up to a mounted drive. This is because the OS does not allow Retrospect (which runs as "root") to access all files and folders on volumes to which you are logged into as your user.

"Backing Up To or From Mounted AppleShare Volumes: There are two ways to back up to or from AppleShare File Server (AFP) volumes under OS X:

* Configure Retrospect to mount the AFP volume on the desktop.

For information on how to log in as root under OS X, please read Apple Computer's KnowledgeBase article #106290, Mac OS X: About the root User and How to Enable It.

To have Retrospect automatically mount an AFP volume on your desktop:

* Mount the AFP volume on your desktop using your login

* In Retrospect go to Configure>Volumes and highlight the mounted volume

* From the Volumes menu choose Configure (Command-J)

* Provide Retrospect with the password to connect to the AFP volume

* Unmount the AFP volume in Finder

* Include the AFP volume in your backup script.

When it needs to access the volume, Retrospect will mount the AFP volume on the desktop, access it, and then unmount it when done.

Note: When Retrospect has mounted the volume, you will not be able to see the volume's contents from the Finder.

If you back up a mounted AFP volume using either method listed above, privileges are not preserved and can not be restored. The only way to back up and restore privileges from a volume over a network is to back up the computer using Retrospect Client Software."

I did that. I have Retrospect configured to automatically mount the AFP volumes; it logs in automatically with the owner's name and password. Nevertheless, it always fails to complete the file scan, reporting a -43 error. This is not a problem with a particular disk or machine; I have 3 machines running OS 9, and it happens with all of them. It's fairly clear that this feature does not function as described in the manual; the question is, is it a bug, or has it actually been disabled and am I forced to use clients?

There is a Mac OS X "situation" that can cause this situation. The Finder will give you the same error. If a file has a '/' in the name, the tranlation from HFS+ syntax to VFS gets messed up. The terminal would show those files with a : (not a /). Try renaming files with a / and retry the back. I bet it will work!

John

Hey, you know what? I don't care anymore. I just shelled out the $60 for three client licenses and said to hell with it. They work fine, everything's backing up properly now, and I guess that's that. There's really only so much time I'm willing to waste debugging other people's code; I have enough work to do on my own stuff.

Archived