PC MultiServer backing up MacOS X Desktop Client Slowly

studionorth

I have recently added a MacOS X v10.2.4 client to my MultiServer v6 Backup Script. I made it the very final client to back up in the list of servers. This particular Mac has some simple graphic design data that needs to be backed up -- so there is nothing open or running when it executes.

One thing worth noting is that the Mac happens to have the desktop edition of Retrospect installed (which is used for Archiving). I have installed the latest Retrospect client after the Retrospect Desktop v5 software.

Every morning I have come in, our incremental backup on the PC Multiserver is still running with the following information:

Copying Design on Archival

Remaining: 795 files, 3.1gb

Completed: 137 files, 706.0mb

Source: Design on archival, 15 of 16

Destination: StudioNorth Week 02

Performance: 0.9 MB/min

Time Remaining: 2 09:03:20

This thing is totally crawling at under ONE MEG per MINUTE when it comes to the MacOS Machine. Any ideas why? I can copy files to and from each machine via SMB with no issues or slowness...

What version of the client software do you have?

Go to the System Preferences (from the Apple Menu) and click Network. Change the pull-down menu to Show Active Network Ports. Make sure that the port that you wish to use with Retrospect is listed first in this window. If not, you may change the order by dragging the desired item to the top of the list.

Try a crossover cable connection between the client and the server - do the speeds improve?

Do you have other OS X machines in your environment? If so, what speeds are you seeing?

Go to Configure > Clients. Get Properties on the OS X client. Click the Refresh button. This will do a very basic speed test between the two computers. How fast is the connection?

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

What version of the client software do you have?

MacOS X v5.0.540

Quote:

Make sure that the port that you wish to use with Retrospect is listed first in this window.

Already done. No difference.

Quote:

Try a crossover cable connection between the client and the server - do the speeds improve?

Unfortunately, space and lack of a cable on hand disallow me from using a crossover cable directly. However, connecting from the MacOSX machine to the Win2000 Server via SMB allows me to copy over 60mb of data to the desktop in less than a minute. If your intent with the crossover cable is to make sure the physical cabling is alright, I can assure you it is.

Quote:

Do you have other OS X machines in your environment? If so, what speeds are you seeing?

I just installed the client on a MacOS X 10.2.4 Server (Xserve machine) using a gigabit card. I see the exact same speeds (shown below)...

Quote:

Go to Configure > Clients. Get Properties on the OS X client. Click the Refresh button. This will do a very basic speed test between the two computers. How fast is the connection?

2 x MacOSX v5.0.540 @ 17K Bytes / sec

1 x Linux v6.0.143 @ 187K Bytes / sec

4 x Win v6.0.110 @ 630K Bytes / sec

1 x Win v5.6.112 @ 1203K Bytes / sec

Pretty odd that the old client runs twice as fast as the new one... Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Quote:

Pretty odd that the old client runs twice as fast as the new one...

Which old client? An older client 5.0 version? If you're referring to OS 9 with a 4.3 client, it's no comparison. It is faster to backup OS 9. It a completely different OS with a much simpler file and permission structure. A base installation contains 3,000 files (give or take). An OS X installation contains 35,000 files (give or take) -- many of which are text files that are less then 10k in size.

That being said, it should not be 17 kilobytes a second. A speed test between from my PC with my Mac client gives a rate of 5500 - 10,000 kb when refreshing about 10 times in a row.

If possible, try installing Retrospect on a Windows machine closer to one of the Mac's in order to allow a connection by crossover cable. Something in the network or network settings is preventing fast communication. SMB communication does not guarantee that a direct TCP/IP connection will work properly. The same holds true to AppleTalk connections or Windows Network connections - one can be working fine and the other fails miserably.

Quote:

Which old client? An older client 5.0 version?

I should have probably expressed that observation a little better: I meant that it was odd that the Windows v5.6 client was twice as fast as the Windows v6.0 client -- looking at the rate comparison between the different platforms and Retrospect Client versions...

Regardless, this 17k/sec issue is the true one at hand. I've had to manaully quit the backup every day (since the 17k/sec server is the last one to be backed up). If I leave it run it will not complete the backup script because that last particular server will take 3 days to back up @ 17k/sec... Heh. So at present, daily incrementals will get pushed back without user interaction.

I'll see what I can do about getting a PC laptop over there to test with a crossover cable... Can you tell me what I'll need to do if it has the same speed with the crossover cable? I don't envision it fixing the problem since I am seeing the exact same speeds from MacOS X on an XServe server less than 5 feet away from the PC Backup server. The only difference is that the servers are hooked up to a 10/100/1000 switch and the desktop 'Archive' MacOS X machine is on 10/100.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I got a client who has the same problem as you describe, the problem only seems to be on Mac-machines. and mostly on OSX-machines. They can transfer/recieve files with HTTP/FTP/SMB protols with 100Mb Full duplex but with the retrospect Multiserver Windows version 6.0 the speed comes down to 0.25 - 1Mb max.

I told them i would check with DANTZ to see if a solution is at hand...and please no more testing that or testing this. Please give us i solution period.

Thanks

/BM

Quote:

Please give us i solution period.

As I type this, I'm backing up my 10.2.6 G4 Macintosh with Retrospect 6.0 Multi-Server at a rate of 300+ meg/minute.

What kind of speed do you see with a speeed test? Go to Configure > Clients. Get Properties on the OS X client. Click the Refresh button. This will do a very basic speed test between the two computers. How fast is the connection?

• 2 weeks later...

Note that this is coming up in various ways all over the place now.

I'm beginning to suspect something in the client-side TCP stack under 10.2.6 that

Retrospect copes with badly (though since it is Retrospect and Retrospect alone

that has trouble, this is an indictment of Retrospect not 10.2.6). Like you and the

other guy I'm getting speeds that are two orders of magnitude below what a simple

file copy operation would provide. I've got a ton of TCP dumps for those who read

Ethereal, but bad header checksums and per-packet ACKing are part of the picture.

BTW, for whoever said use a crossover cable -- all the new Macs including yours

are auto-reversing -- straight-through or cross-over is so PC...

See

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Desktopworkgrupx&Number=27705&Forum=Desktopworkgrupx&Words=slowpoke&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=27705&Search=true#Post27705

assuming, of course, that references like the above are actually stable. Otherwise

search for my name <slowpoke>.

--slowpoke

Archived