Retro 4.3 & Expired OS X Beta

Hi

Now that the OS X Client Beta has expired, I've been sort of left in limbo. I'm running Retrospect Desktop 4.3 in server mode on a machine that's hooked up with 2 other computers via a KVM switch. Since I'm using a KVM switch, any warnings about the impending expiration of the OS X Beta have gone unnoticed, as the display on the machine running 4.3 in server mode doesn't get viewed very often.

Now that the OS X machine is no longer visible to the machine running 4.3, I face a dilemma. When I upgraded to 4.3 last fall, I was assured that the upgrade to 5.0 (and its associated clients) would be free. Since I have yet to be offered the promised free upgrade, I'm temporarily stuck using 4.3 and since the OS X Beta has expired, the 4.3 machine no longer sees the OS X box. At this time I need to restore items to the OS X box, but cannot do so. I'm in a "Catch-22" scenario, as my free upgrade is still not in hand, yet I must restore to the no longer visible OS X computer - not to mention that I can no longer back up the OS X box.

Am I stuck waiting for the promised free upgrade in order to backup / restore the OS X computer? Will the soon-to-expire 5.0 Preview possibly enable me to restore to my OS X box? Assuming this to be so, will the backup sets created by 4.3 even be visible to the 5.0 Preview?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might restore my data until I receive the promised free upgrade to 5.0?

Even though this problem is my fault to some extent for allowing the OS X Beta to expire, it would have been nice to get the free upgrade BEFORE the expiration of the Beta.

Thank you,

Rick

You need to contact Customer Service to verify your qualification for the free upgrade. Please give them a call at 877.222.5870. [Please note that hold times are still longer than usual now due to a very high call volume for the 5.0 release. Thanks for your patience!]

The Preview version will not run on an OS 9 system, as the 5.0 release will. You will need the 5.0 release to restore to or backup that OS X system.

Hi

Thanks for the info. Ironically, I just called Dantz Customer Service at the end of last week to inquire about the free upgrade. Had I known the OS X Beta was about to expire at midnight that night, I would have taken a firmer stance and not just be content to wait for the e-mail that will supposedly contain the free upgrade offer.

Regards,

Rick

I called Dantz Customer Service today and they hooked me up with the promised free upgrade of Desktop and clients, via download.

It's good to be able to backup and restore my OS X box once again.

Regards,

Rick

I currently use Retrospect 4.3 for Mac with multiple user clients. I need that updated plugin as well but when I called Customer Service, the person insisted I had to *buy* an upgrade. This was also after he verified my registration information.

Please advise how I can get the upgrade/plugin that will allow me to use v4.3 on OS 9 to backup an OS X *client*. Thanks!

4.3 does not have support for backing up OS X computers. The client and plug-in that we released was a free beta distribution, meant as a temporary solution until our 5.0 product was ready.

If you have upgraded computers on your network to OS X, you'll need to upgrade your Retrospect software to 5.0 to back them up.

You'll still be able to run the application on your OS 9 computer; it will be version 5, though, as will your backup clients.

Archived