Firewire drive won't backup

I've just installed 5.02 in System 10.1.3. My EZQ Cobra+ fire wirewire drive which used to backup just fine in 4.3 stops after the first file giving an error 205 device trouble lost access to storage medium. I'm backing up to a firewire Onstream 30 gig tape drive which is supported. Do I have to go back to 4.3?

Thanks for your help.

Stan Goldberg

This is/was my experience as well with the preview & released Retro 5 & a EZQuest CD Writer as well as Travan style 20GB tape drive. For what ever reason Retro does not seem to like the FireWire set up on our B&W G3 Mac OS X Server. I have posted this in several places and no one responded so I am assuming that this is not everyones experience.

Michael

I did read lately that someone had to put in a firewire board in one of the slots of the B&W because they said the firewire implementation in the B&W was not "good". Firewire seems to work just fine except with retrospect. I can successfully backup an internal drive onto the Onstream firewire tape drive. Seems like Retrospect 5.0 looses fire wire communication with the drive and the backup stops. I wish Dantz would comment on this.

Stan

So I wonder if adding a FireWire card to the server would bring about a successfull backup? I had not heard about the FireWire implementation being poor in the B&W Macs. I wish Dantz would say soemthing about this as well, I've tried to get a response, but...

Michael

Now I remember I saw the comment about B&W firewire in a forum discussing the Que Fire 12x 10x 32x CD/RW which I own. In Sys X I can't get this drive to work properly with Toast 5.1.2. In 9.2.2 it works just fine. The person said he put in a firewire board and the drive worked. Haven't tried this myself. Would rather not have to put in another board!

Stan

Archived