'Tape Drive Cleaning Reminder' & 'Notify for Media' notifications not displaying.

I am running Retrospect Workgroup 5.0.238 under Mac OS X 10.2.4. Although I have checked the "Show tape drive cleaning reminder" and "Notify for failures and media" boxes in the "Maintenance" and "Unattended" Preferences (respectively), I am not receiving the notifications for 'cleaning' and 'media' via a Dialog Window as expected.

I do however get the 'cleaning' reminder in the Retrospect log.

How do I get the notifications to behave properly?

I have to admit, I've never found the Cleaning reminder useful. My server is running under OS 9, so maybe there is a change under OS X, but for me I don't get the notice until I quit Retrospect. (Or maybe it's on restarting Retrospect after a quit.) It doesn't seem to monitor it while it's running, which makes it worthless for me since I keep Retrospect running 24/7. Also, even when I do clean the tape drive, Retrospect doesn't know it. (I'm not sure how it could unless the drive tells it.) So when I do get a message it's something like "You haven't cleaned the drive in 325 hours", when it is in fact being cleaned regularly.

Well, at least someone responded, but I was hoping it would be someone from Dantz.

I can see how the notifications would not be useful for someone who has a setup like yours. However, I run my backups as 'Unattended' and Retrospect quits after each execution. The notifications should display after Retrospect quits, so that works out for me.

You are correct in saying that Retrospect doesn't know whether the drive has been cleaned, but if the cleaning is performed at the notification prompt, Retrospect's 'hour counter' will reflect the actual hour setting in the Preferences. Again, this probably isn't useful in a higher-volume environment, but it works for me and I rely on it.

The notifications did work as I've noted under Mac OS 8.x and 9.x using Retrospect 4.x.

I looked through all the forums before my original post, and I did find a mention of the issue from several months ago. No resolution was arrived at in the public forum.

Quote:

I run my backups as 'Unattended' and Retrospect quits after each execution. The notifications should display after Retrospect quits...

Ya think?

In general, Retrospect doesn't display _any_ dialog boxes when it's run in Unattended mode. Messages that have their own display when the program is launched manualy will only be written to the log when it's auto-launched (or switched to Unattended).

If Retrospect were to put up a tape cleaning reminder dialog box on quit then it would be waiting for you to click "OK" and might fail to run the next script!

You should be checking your logs every day anyway; they're there for your protection.

Dave

CallMeDave wrote:

Quote:

In general, Retrospect doesn't display _any_ dialog boxes when it's run in Unattended mode. Messages that have their own display when the program is launched manualy will only be written to the log when it's auto-launched (or switched to Unattended).

It seems to me that they could put up a non-modal dialog box to tell you to clean the drive, and let the program continue on its merry way...

David Wagner

After finally getting the attention of someone at Dantz that understood the 'Customer' part of 'Customer Service', I received the following response to the queries I outlined in my original post:

"Dave,

I have confirmed that both of the notification issues you inquired about are known problems with Retrospect 5.0 when running under OSX. We can't guarantee a fix but you can be certain that we are taking steps to resolve the issue in a future version of Retrospect. At this time both the cleaning reminder and notification for failures and media functions are fully functional under OS9.

I know that may not be the answer you were hoping for but it is the best we can do for now. Unofficially I suspect it will be fixed in the next version but we will have to wait and see.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards

(name removed)

International Technical Support Engineer

Dantz Development Corporation

(nameremoved)@dantz.com

=============================================

For any other questions, please call our Technical Support number

at 925.253.3050. We're open Monday - Friday 7 to 4 Pacific Time."

And to the Dantz folks who are supposed to monitor this forum: Since the two issues I asked about are "known problems," perhaps the response I received should be in the FAQ on the web site, eh?

Dave

Archived