Mac Computer Name

Hello!

Since we are a publishing company with freelancers that come and go, renaming the Mac's in the FileSharing control panel is an important part of our everyday productivity in communicating via AppleTalk via our WinNT network. We are using the Retrospect Windows Server trial with the Mac client control panel installed on the Mac's. Retrospect server see's the name of the Mac's from previous freelancers even though the correct name to the current freelancer is there typed in the "Computer Name" of the FileSharing Control panel.

Where is Retrospect Server for Windows getting this information on the Mac from?!?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank!

Marc Monaro

To change the name in the Retrospect Client Control Panel do the following:

1) Launch Retrospect for Windows

2) Go to Configure>Clients

3) Select the Mac Client and click Properties

4) Click on Tools

5) Click Rename...

6) Change the client name

To add the client, Retrospect Server is asking for a password first.

What password?!? Where is this password coming from?!

I tried the owner password to Mac in the FileSharing control panel in 9.2.1 under the Start/Stop tab but it didn't work.

Am I supposed to set a password somewhere?!?

Thanks!

Marc

When you installed the Retrospect Client Control Panel, you were prompted to enter a password. Retrospect requires that password for client login.

If you have lost the client password, you must do the following:

Macintosh OS 9.x or earlier Client:

Trash the "Retrospect Client" control panel

Restart the client computer

Reinstall the Client Control Panel

Take note of the password you type in when prompted

Restart the client computer

Login the client from the server

Windows Client:

Uninstall the Client from Add and Remove programs

Reinstall the Client from the client installer

When I installed the Retrospect client on the Mac, Version 4.3, it did not prompt me for a password. The only information I entered was the license code Dantz gave me for the trail. Could it be that this is a trial version therefore I don't need a password? Is there a work around the password?!? Remember I'm using the Windows server version of retrospect connecting via IP to the Macs on our NT network.

Thanks!

marc

When you install the Retrospect Client control panel, you are not prompted to enter the license code, you are prompted to enter a password. If you entered the license code at the time the client was installed, then you entered it into the password request dialog box.

The License code is entered into the "License Manager" on the Retrospect backup computer.

BOY!

Don't I feel like a dope!

Thanks for your help on that one.

I do have another question if I may...

Our DHCP server is set up where it leases the IP addresses to each workstation in our building. The lease on our computers, Macs and PC's, expire every 3 days.

I noticed the only way to connect to the Macs from Retrospect server is via IP.

Am I going to have to re-enter every Mac IP every 3 days and reconfigure Retrospect server to see the Mac workstations that need backing up?

How does Retrospect retain the Macs information and location even though the IP has changed?

Thanks again!

Marc

If the computers are in the local subnet, then you can login the clients via Multicast.

If the Clients are in a different subnet, then you should configure the Retrospect Subnet Broacast features to scan the remote subnet. This will allow you to login clients without adding by IP address.

• 2 months later...

Hi Mayoff,

I was searching the forum for info on DHCP configurations and I came across your post.

For some reason, Retrospect is not finding Mac clients on other subnets when using the Subnet Broadcast option. We upgraded to the full Server Backup Edition, v5.6 to support having our backup server and clients on multiple subnets, and I can back them up if I set specific IP addresses using the Direct option, but the Subnet Broadcast is not finding them. Obviously, this will not work well if our DHCP server assigns a new IP address to one of the clients at some point.

I think I have the subnets configured properly, but I'm obviously missing something. Can you point me in the right direction on this?

Thanks in advance,

Marck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Irena,

Thanks very much for your note.

I passed your suggestions on to our LAN team and so far I'm coming up empty. They tell me there are no firewalls between the various VLANs and that the other network segments are broadcasting addresses. I don't think I'm on the same wavelength as my LAN guys, but I don't know enough about the subject to clarify my needs with them... can you tell me where the setting to enable Subnet Broadcast would normally be made? Would that be done on the switches?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I appreciate it!

Marck

Archived