you call this a backup program?

I am a long time user of retrospect, both windows and mac. In general, on the mac, retrospect has been good. Until now. After poking around in the forums I have learned I cannot use my newly purchased version 5 without serious hedaches. First of all, the superdrive in my new G4 powerbook is not supported. Looks like someone at dantz threw out February as a release date for an update. Not so We are now in the first week of March. Since I use the powerbook as my main machine I need to keep it backed up, but without use of the superdrive what am I to do? Next best thing is a network volume, and I have many. But they wont work either unless I log out of OSX as a user and log back in as "root." Obviously this is less than automatic and really cumbersome. And I can't use a script to do that task for me in the middle of the night.

Anyone have the same dilema? Any suggestions?

You never need to log out of Retrospect and Login as root. confused.gif

Configure Retrospect under Configure>Volumes to automatically login to your network volumes. If the network volumes are Mac or Windows, you should be using a Retrospect Client....Not Filesharing.

Many new drives were supported in February with that drive update release. Your post seems to indicate we didn't release any drivers at that time, but we did. Please view the URL below to see what drive support was added.

RDU 3.4.103

The superdrive is in fact not on that update list. I checked before I posted and after I read your reply. It's the Matshita DVD-R. The file server is a windows NT RAID. How would I go about saving my backup to it? Would I need to run retrospect on the server and run a client on the notebook? Not too attractive as I would need to pay to upgrade the windows version. Would rather do a mac only solution. Thanks

Quote:

The file server is a windows NT RAID. How would I go about saving my backup to it?

Create a share on the NT server specifically for your backup file, and configure Retrospect as outlined in the ReadMe (and in multiple posts over the last year of this Forum). Save your File Backup Set to that AFP volume (using a dedicated share point overcomes some of the issues with how the Finder and AFP deal with (or fail to deal with) root).

Dave

Archived