Hung post, and tape ejects

Newbie question here --

Reluctantly taken over backup for a small network and five Macs. Problems include the one below in which backup runs fine until it hits a computer (not the same one every night) and then hangs. After which, the tape ejects. Does the tape eject first, causing the backup to hang up, or is it the other way around, and the tape ejects part of the way through, and the backup can't finish?

Any suggestions as to how to fix this?

3/4/2003 10:54:04 PM: Connected to Prod Mgr

- 3/4/2003 10:54:09 PM: Copying Macintosh HD on Prod Mgr

Can't read file "Macintosh HD:Applications:Sherlock.app:Contents:Resources:Japanese.lproj:ISS:Files:´¢´?´Í´±?´<sum>´Á´Û#85B1.find", error -43 (file/folder not found).

3/5/2003 8:00:01 AM: Script execution terminated at specified stop time.

3/5/2003 8:00:01 AM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 13313 files, 1.2 GB

Completed: 77386 files, 7.7 GB, with 0% compression

Performance: 82.6 MB/minute

Duration: 09:05:52 (07:31:15 idle/loading/preparing)

3/5/2003 8:00:01 AM: Execution incomplete

Total performance: 89.4 MB/minute with 87% compression

Total duration: 09:59:13 (07:49:49 idle/loading/preparing)

Is it actually hanging (so the Retrospect server isn't responding when you get in in the morning) or just not finishing the backup? The log entry indicates that the backup script has an end time of 8am, so if it's just not finishing, it's because it is being told to stop at 8am. However, the tape should not eject under those conditions. The tape ejecting sounds like the tape is full and it wants a new one. This sounds like an old bug that I've been bitten by in the past. I couldn't tell you what versions were affected. Certainly when I saw it was a long time ago. The symptoms were that if there was no time limit set in the preferences for how long retrospect should wait for a new tape when one was needed and a shutoff time came around while it was waiting for a tape, then it would freeze. I think this would be consistent with your log, because retrospect doesn't write a media request to the log unless it times out--which isn't going to happen if there is no timeout. It would also make sense that it would stop on a different client each time, because there is no set order in which it does the client backups, so it would run out of tape on a different machine each time. Go to the Retrospect preferences and set a reasonable time for Retrospect to wait for a new tape. Then see if the log entries change to a media timeout.

Since you inherited this system, I would recommend first browsing through all of the preferences just to see what's there and how they are currently set, and then opening up the backup script that is being used and looking through it just so you know what the system is supposed to be doing.

Archived