"new" superdrive support? (Pioneer DVR-105)

Hmm. I posted this once before, but it appears to be gone now. It looks like this board had problems earlier today, so maybe it got lost in a server restore.

Anyway, I'm using:

1GHz 17" iMac

A new model Superdrive : A Pioneer DVR-105

OS X 10.2

Retrospect Express 5.0.238

Driver Update 3.4

It appears that the new Superdrive is not supported: I cannot find it on the hardware list and I cannot get Retrospect to recognize it even though it shows up in visible devices.

Is this correct or am I misconfiguring something? If it is just too "new" a drive I'm hoping that someone @ Dantz has an expected driver release date dince this is "stock" Apple hardware. Has anyone else gotten this drive working? Workarounds anyone?

David

This drive is not yet supported for use with Retrospect. For a list of currently qualified devices, please see:

Hardware Search Engine

Dantz goes through a rigorous qualification process with every drive we test. This means that not every drive will be qualified and we can never guarantee that a particular device will be supported. Some drives do not get qualified ever, and some take 6 months to a year to get support. We have no way of telling if this drive will be supported or not at this moment.

We add device support often though, so do check back with our Hardware Compatibility list.

• 3 months later...

From what I've been told, the only difference between the Pioneer DVR-104, and DVR-105 (which isn't supported) is that the DVR-105 can write DVD's at 4x, instead of 2x - so I don't see why it's taking so long to have support for the drive, when all Dantz needs to do is write a bit of code saying Retrospect can use model DVR-105.

It's quite frustrating, and no doubt Dantz would have lost a lot of potential clients due to no support for this drive, as the Pioneer DVD Burners are generally the most popular - not to mention the DVR-105 has been out for a few months now.

Any more news about this? I was very disappointed not to see the DVR-105 in the latest driver update for Macs. Is there some sort of technical problem that is delaying the release of a driver?

I don't know what percentage of Macs ship with SuperDrives, but it's kind of annoying that Retrospect doesn't support the "stock" Apple DVD-R hardware.

David

AmyC, I'm sure your a real person, so why not credit us with some thing more than a cut and pasted response.

Its about time you gave your engineers a kick up the arse and get some answers on a release date on the 105 superdrive. considering that support for the 104 has been around for so long and the only technical differences between that and the 105 are speed I can't understand what the hold up is.

Apple's G5's are shipping NOW with 105's as standard, are you all nuts down there, or is the Apple Mac market just not important to you anymore!

As of today the Pioneer DVR-105 (Apple version) is supported by Retrospect 5.0 with RDU 3.3.104 and later.

Only DVD-R and DVD-RW media is supported with this drive and Retrospect. CD-R and CD-RW media is not supported for use with Retrospect. Dantz recommends using Apple branded DVD-R media with this drive.

MAYOFF,

Just got the pioneer 106 for my mac, didn't work of course. Am returning it for the 105. Any idea if this will work in an older mac if the mac wasn't built with this drive? I hope it does because this is the whole reason I'm getting it (to backup with RE).

dave

Thanks for the reply Amy. I'm returning the 106 and should have the 105 in a day or 2. I'll let ya know if it works. It seems to me it should seeing how it's the same model as the apple "super drive"....but you never know. Funny but Roxio Toast doesn't seem to have problems like Retrospect does when it comes to new hardware. Retrospect actually saw the drive but couldn't use it??? Anywho, whatever, life sucks and then you upgrade and it sucks some more. I gotta get some fresh air.........

d

wink.gif

OEM products, more often then not, have proprietary firmware. As a result, an Apple drive and a shelf drive can perform differently, and have different issues/results.

I recently went out an bought a Soundblaster Audigy 2 card, rather then continue using the bundled OEM Audigy 2 card for that very reason.

The good news is that the next release of Retrospect for Macintosh is going to dramtically change drive support, allowing us to support more CD/DVD drives then ever before. I can't say when the next version is coming out, but it will be soon!

I'm using Retrospect Express for Mac Version 5.0.238 with Driver Update 3.6.106.

The program's 'Eject" command can open the drawer of the Pioneer DVR-105 of my iMac, but can't close it, and even prevents me from doing so in the Finder. (If quit Retrospect, I can close the drawer from Finder, but then I'm in no better shape than someone who hasn't purchased the product). This hardly strikes me as 'support'. I too am a user who has owned versions of Retrospect for years, but is unwilling to buy an upgrade when 'support' has dropped to this level. If I pay for a "point-one" upgrade, will it close the DVD drawer? Better still, will it burn at the 4X speed for DVD the hardware manufacturer intended?

Archived