Selector Failure?

My backup server *seems* to be mis-reading a selector. It is trying to backup files which it shouldn't.

To explain, I have a selector called "Fred-SQL." It was previously set as follows:

- Windows drive letter is C:

- Client name matches pattern Fred

- Windows path matches pattern c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\*

But I changed it a week ago to read:

- Windows drive letter is C:

- Client name matches pattern Fred

- Windows path matches pattern c:\sqlbackup\*

Despite the change, my backup routines which use this selector keep trying to backup files in c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\* despite the fact that they shouldn't (or I don't understand). Furthermore, when I open the selector and have it "check" to see what would backup, it correctly finds only the files in c:\sqlbackup\*. I've rebooted the Retrospect backup server a few times. It's as though it's reading a ghost of the old selector.

What to do?

confused.gif

Selectors - Mac OS and Windows

A Selector is a feature that allows you search for files and/or folders that match a certain criteria. They act as filters for your source or destination data. Retrospect users have the option to use standard Selectors, or create their own custom selectors. Retrospect Express users only have the default Selector choices.

As a general rule, we at Dantz encourage backing up "All files." More is always better.

Note: A selector makes a backup easier. It does not make a restore easier.

Retrospect is not just backup software, it is restore software.

Most users who use a selector will be disappointed at the time of a complete

system restore. Murphy's Law says, "The one item you didn't back up is the

item you need to restore after a system crash."

Setting up and troubleshooting Selectors

Selectors are tricky. As a user you need to make sure that the selection criteria itself is correct, and then you need to make sure they've been linked correctly.

Selectors use Boolean logic. A good rule of thumb is to make sure that unrelated criteria are linked by "or." For example, How do you select a folder whose name is "Applications" AND whose name is "System Folder?" It's impossible. The correct way to backup both the "Applications" and the "System Folder" is to select the OR command.

Another good thing to remember is to "check" your Selector. To check the Selector, go to the Selector creation window. On the Windows platform choose the “blue check mark” and then choose a volume for the Selector. On the Macintosh platform, while in the Selector creation Window, choose Selector from the drop-down menu then choose "Check Selector" from the Selector menu. On both platforms you will be prompted to choose a volume and Retrospect will apply your Selector to that volume in real-time. This will save you having to wait until a backup or restore to see if your Selector has been working correctly.

Archived