How does Restrospect handle a UPS initiated system shutdown?

BitPusher

If I am running an unattended backup (or restore), how does Restrospect Professional V6.0 handle/respond to a Windows XP system shutdown request that was initiated by an Uninterruptible Power Source (UPS) when it is running on battery power and the battery starts running low? This question would also apply to any Windows XP shutdown request while Retrospect Professional V6.0 is running.

The reason I am asking this question is my concern for possible tape damage if the battery would get low enough to where the UPS finally drops power to the system while the tape transport is still operating. This concern for possible tape damage is why I have not just tested this condition myself.

Thank You,

Carl E. Johnson

Thanks for the reply Mayoff.

I read the Knowledgebase Article you mentined and I get the general idea of what needs to be done.

However, having never used a Macintosh computer I am clueless as to what is "AppleScript". Is this the same as a Windows Batch program? I did a text search in my Retrospect install directory tree and got no hits on "AppleScript" so I have nothing to look at for guidance. Also, the article mentions having to "access the following Retrospect AppleScript dictionary item: stop execution." I looked at the Retrospect online Help and I get no hits on "stop execution". What do I have to access in Windows XP and by what method in order to have Retrospect stop the current backup and prevent "really stop execution" dialog boxes when a system shutdown gets initiated?

I should have initially mentioned that I usually only run immediate backups, but I don't think that makes any difference for my shutdown issue.

Thank You,

Carl E. Johnson

Quote:

However, having never used a Macintosh computer I am clueless as to what is "AppleScript". Is this the same as a Windows Batch program?

Yes. Scripting examples can be found in the External Scripts folder in the C:\Program Files\Dantz\Retrospect

Thanks Amy for the reply.

I reviewed the External Scripts folder you mentioned, but I didn't see anything that pertains to a Windows XP "shutdown". The only "shutdown" item I could find was to shutdown a Lotus Domino Server. A few months ago I experimented with RETROEVENTHANDLER.BAT, and I checked it again after your reply, but I did not see any "subroutine name" documented that handles a system shutdown or a method to answer any termination messages from Retrospect V6.0.

I suppose I could use the "try it and see" method by executing shutdown.exe while making a backup to expendable CD-RW media (instead of $90.00 tapes), but I hate to take the time to do that; and if I got a pop-up box from Retrospect asking if "I'm really sure" I still don't know by what method it could be responded to automatically.

Is it possible that the current Windows version of Retrospect V6.0 can't gracefully handle a UPS or system initiated shutdown automatically? If thats the case I won't spend any more time on this issue or send you any more nuisance messages about this subject, but I would suggest that provision be made for this in a future release of Restrospect for Windows.

If that is not the case, I would request that a KnowledgeBase item be added to address the isuue of how the Windows version of Retrospect responds to a UPS or system shutdown and how any pop-up boxes can be programtically responded to.

Unattended (in the sense that I am not in a location to know the utility power status) Backup is essentially useless until this shutdown issue has been resolved.

Thank You, Carl E. Johnson

Archived