LaCie 32x10x40 CD-RW Drive Compatibility

I have a LaCie 32x10x40 U&I CD-RW drive, which I'm using with a 400MHz iMac, OS 9.2.2. I just upgraded to Retrospect Express 5.0, and downloaded the latest driver update. However, my drive doesn't work with Express; it fails right away when trying to write data to the CD during a backup. I have tried both TDK and Sony High-Speed CD-RW discs with the same results. Going down the "Configure -> Devices -> Device Status" path yields the following information:

Vendor: LaCie

Product: CDBP-321040A

Version: 2.40

Driver: LaCie CD-RW (5.01)

I see from your device compatibility list that the 16x10x40 U&I drive is qualified; what about the 32x10x40? Is there a definitive decision on whether this drive is supported by Retrospect Express, or will be supported? I have been waiting for a while for this drive to be qualified. Up until now, I have been using the workaround of breaking up my hard drive into subvolumes and doing a file backup of each subvolume to the hard drive while inside Retrospect Express, and then writing the resulting files to CD using Toast after leaving Retrospect Express, but this is getting old, and is very time-consuming. Besides, as the files grow, ultimately they get too big to fit on a CD. I want to know if I have to go buy another drive if I want to do incremental backups inside Retrospect Express.

If your answer is that this drive is NOT supported, then please answer another question: I see from your list that the LaCie D2 52x24x52 CD-RW drive IS supported. Is this the drive that is currently being sold by MacConnection (Item No. 403997) and others? Does this drive work reliably within Retrospect Express, doing incremental backups to CD-RW? Please confirm -- I don't want to spend the money on another drive, only to learn after I hook it up that it is unsupported.

Thank you very much in advance for your prompt response.

• 2 months later...

Be VERRRRRY careful about the 52X LaCie drive !!

I saw that the drive was supported and went and bought one from Buy.com and LaCie had changed the internal drive mechanism ALREADY!!!

The Lite-On inner guts are supported, the Mitsumi guts are NOT!!!

I think this answer will be a little more useful that the usual "look at the database

Archived