Retrospect 5.0 Performance on 9.x

I just upgraded Retrospect from 4.3 to 5.0 on my desktop backup server. This machine is a PowerMac 8100/100 (with a NewerTech G3 card) running 9.0.4. I am testing the backup as I write by doing a test incremental backup.

I am seeing some strange performance. While the machine is untouched, the backup proceeds in small short increments with long pauses in-between. [The Retrospect busy cursor does not cycle during the long pauses.] Sometimes the pauses seem to be VERY long and the machine emits a SysBeep before continuing. HOWEVER, if I move the mouse, the long pauses do not occur.

That is, it seems like a stream of keyboard interrupts are necessary to keep Retrospect active. [Yes, this looks and acts like some issues I've seen before with Carbon 1.0.x, but this is Carbon 1.5.] Has anyone seen this before? Or is it a wierdness unique to my machine. [Note that Retrospect 4.3 did not have this problem.]

Any suggestions about what to do about it? The net performance is simply AWEFUL!

Rick

I'm pleased to be able to reply to my own post with an answer. Retrospect 5.0 installs CarbonLib 1.5. This turned out to be the problem. I replaced that version of CarbonLib with v1.3.1 and Retrospect's performance is back where I expect it to be -- namely, it keeps the tape drive in constant motion without pauses.

Rick

Archived