Can't Install X Client on Drive w/o a System

How annoying! I'm trying to install the Retrospect Mac OS X client, it wants to install on my "Applications" partition, but can't because I have my system on another disk, and there's no way to redirect the installation to that disk! Ugh! Dantz, listening??

- Scott

I got the exact same problem. The installer tries to install on the "Application"-disk while my "/"-partition is on another disk. I was able to move the client from another OS X machine, but i can not start the Retrospect Client application. I get the following error: "The Client was installed without root permissions".

Anyhow, I did manage to start the "pitond"-daemon manualy, and thereby make my OS X machine available to Retrospect...

I regard this as a bug in the installer.

>>I regard this as a bug in the installer. <<

Then it's a bug shared by every Apple released installer.

If you move /Applications, Apple's system update installers will re-create it. And populate it with bits and pieces of software destined for application packages that it expected to find inside. You'll wind up with bits of iTunes.app, bits of Mail.app, etc.

This is a part of OS X that many people do not like. But the sad truth is, if you rename or move system created directories in OS X you're going to have problems. This is not a Dantz issue/problem, it's an Apple/Unix thing.

Dave

Wrong!

First of all, the Retrospect Client installer (at least the one I found in my packet) is not a Apple-installer. If so, I would be able to edit the installer-script in a manner that I could do the installation anyway...

Second, moving "/Applications" to another disk has caused me no problem so far (about 6 months, and I install new programs almost every day.) The disk is mounted on "/Applications" not "/Volumes/Applications".

I keep my opinion about this issue as an "bug".

Archived