New Driver Update Supports added Apple devices

Error 203 - Hardware Failure

The backup device is having problems because of a bad medium, a communication problem, or a mechanical error. If the error occurs only when you use a particular medium, that medium is probably damaged. Try using a new medium. If the error occurs when you use any medium, you may have a problem with your device.

Try another brand of CD, such as Sony, TDK or Verbatim. If other brands work, then your drive may be picky in regards to media type.

Sense code is error messaging that is generated by the drive itself and can typically only be interpreted by the hardware vendor.

Hardware failure is a straight-forward error (some are ambiguous)-- the hardware is failing on some level.

Quote:

No, this drive is not currently supported. Although we are trying hard to qualify it, please understand that not all drives will be qualified, and of those that are, some take a while.

Thanks for the clarification. I understand the drive is relatively new. I hope your efforts result in a driver and I will monitor the forum for a new driver announcement.

Having monitored the forum for a bit lately. I think the driver compatibility page could be made a bit clearer. I found it hard to line up the several columns, as have several others.

Thanks for the support

• 2 weeks later...

So I understand that the DVD-R drive Apple puts into its high end PowerBooks is not supported. I understand that a similar Panasonic branded mechanism is supported. I would truly like to know why Dantz cannot be a little more reasonable in the way it lists supported drives. I do not consider it unreasonable to expect Dantz to list which Apple stock drives are supported and which are not. I do not consider it unreasonable to list the drives as the Apple System Profiler list them to reduce confusion. This would make support information much more usable to your customers. Apple uses a number of drive mechanisms but the list of mechanisms Apple has recently used with a simple Yes or No under a support column would not take long to develop.

Hi all from Kiel, Germany!

I own a PowerBook 15.2" 1GHz with MATSHITA SD UJ-815, bought in March 03, and last night I was able to manage a backup of almost 8 GB of data from the internal HD on two DVD-Rs 4.7. So what did I do wrong?

Apple System Profiler: (updated to) Mac OS X 10.2.4 (6I32). PowerBook3,5 (version = 3.3) BootROM 4.5.3f2 with MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-815 vers. D0C4 (completely supported)

Retrospect Express 5.0.238 (Driver Update 3.4.103): "Panasonic DVD-R, Atapi-A" (Available storage devices) and "Atapi-A/MATSHITA/DVD-R UJ-815/D0C4/Panasonic DVD-R (5.01)" (Device Status: ID/Vendor/Product/Version/Driver).

bye

manfred

Quote:

I do not consider it unreasonable to expect Dantz to list which Apple stock drives are supported and which are not. I do not consider it unreasonable to list the drives as the Apple System Profiler list them to reduce confusion.

That's exactly how the drives are already listed. Do a search in the Hardware Search Engine for "Apple" - you'll get 23 results as of today's date.

The Apple System profiler lists information about drives that is obtained from the inquiry string of the drive. This information includes Make, Model and Firmware version amoung other information. Retrospect reads and reports the same information from the drive's inquiry string.

Apple System Profiler reports Vendor, Product ID and Revision Number

Retrospect reports Vendor, Product and Version

The vendor, product and firmware number are the same thing.

Hi I posted this inquiry on March 5th. Can someone please advise me?

Thank you.

Ben

Quote:

The unattended, scheduled back-ups seem to fail with the 203 error. The discs are TDK CDRW's

Once the failure occurs, Retrospect won't any longer recognize the 2nd disc of the set. Even when trying to manually run the script as an execute now.

The computer is an MDD867 running OSX10.2.3

The drive in question is the Apple supplied, Super Drive.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Ben

LOG item:

2/28/2003 11:00:19 PM: Copying terrisg4 on Macintosh HD?

Trouble writing: ?2-Friday CD? (1034944512), error 203 (hardware failure).

Additional error information for device "Philips CD-RW" [0:1],

Sense >

(PHILIPS |CDD5101 |A3.5)

Error 203 (hardware failure) indicates that the backup device is having problems because of a bad medium or a mechanical error.

Try another brand of media, and try the drive in another computer.

Make sure you are using the latest Retrospect Driver Update, available from:

http://www.dantz.com/en/support/updates.dtml

The current version is 3.4, which is the minimum version required for this drive to be supported.

Quote:

Hi I posted this inquiry on March 5th. Can someone please advise me?

Thank you.

Ben

Quote:

The unattended, scheduled back-ups seem to fail with the 203 error. The discs are TDK CDRW's

You did not say if the backup ever worked or not. I have a new iMac with the superdrive Pioneer 105 (see my postings in this same forum) which has never worked properly with Retrospect (I get 206 errors). Many of us are just waiting for a new driver, as this is certainly the problem between Retrospect and this drive. But if you have seen a change in behavior recently Amy's advice is good - new media or a broken drive.

In my case iDVD works fine, CD burning works fine from the Mac OS. The only program with problems and the superdrive is Retrospect. I tried every media type available, they all work except with Retrospect. So you can troubleshoot the broken drive by burning other items.

I am still hoping for a driver that will fix my problems.

iMac/800 1gig Mem. Can burn DVD's and CD's with iLife. Retrospect does not 'see' the drive on the desktop. Therefore RE is useless. Have Retrospect v5.0.238, Driver update 3.1.105. System profiler does not tell me which brand of internal superdrive is installed. What next? Phil

• 3 months later...

As of today the Pioneer DVR-105 (Apple version) is supported by Retrospect 5.0 with RDU 3.3.104 and later.

Only DVD-R and DVD-RW media is supported with this drive and Retrospect. CD-R and CD-RW media is not supported for use with Retrospect. Dantz recommends using Apple branded DVD-R media with this drive.

The following is the identical problem that I am having. I am using a G4 867 dual processor, with Philips CDD 5101, Retro version 5.0.238, Driver 3.6.106. When I am trying to backup "documents", the program always stops at 58.5M, after which, the CD can no longer be used. Thanks for your help and support. Raymond

"I have been waiting since October for support for my G4 MDD with Philips CDD 5101. I am disapointed to find that I still cannot back up to either CDR or CDRW after installing the driver update. All backup attempts end the same way--stopping mid way through copying to the CD. If I backup a folder such as 'Applications', the copy will proceed normally until 47.9mb have been copied, then nothing more. The cursor 'wheels' will continue to spin, the Process Viewer says Retrospect is still running and using processor time but nothing else ever happens. Backing up other file systems do the same thing and stop anywhere after 20-90mb have been backed up. Retrying the same file system always stops at the same place for that file system, it is not a random failure.

To quit Retrospect, after attempting to write to a CD I have to 'force quit' and then reboot OS 10.2.6, before trying again."

Amy, I have tried several different CD brands, with the same bad results: Imitation CD-R, 80 Min 700MB; Philips CD-R 80, 48X; Memorex CD-RW, 700 MB 80 Min, 4X Multi speed; and Verrbatim CD-RW 650 MB 74 Min, 16X-24X speed. I have read the forum postings, which state some CD drives are sensitive to the CD Manufacturer/Type -- but, using the ones listed above, I always get the same result of stopped backups after approximately 50 - 60 MB. I have not tried Sony or TDK CDs. Thanks, Raymond

It may be that the drive is having difficulty with packet writing. The OS built-in utility and Toast differ from Retrospect in that they use track writing, rather then packet writing. Drives may function correctly while using track writing, yet fail with packet writing - and vice versa.

Retrospect 5.1 introduced a new auto-configurator which will build drivers for supported and unsupported drives. In many cases, the driver that is built will be a track at once driver. Retrospect 5.0 and earlier only utilized packet writing.

We now have trial editions for the Macintosh. I would suggest downloading a trial, and building a driver to see if your backups are successful.

http://www.dantz.com/en/products/index.dtml

Quote:

Again I had massive problems with Maxell CD-R (see an earlier post). Then I got some Imation CD-RW and the backup went smoothly and the verify until we get to this other user. And basically every file backup from this user had the error I specified. So I am trying to be sure it is media or my misunderstanding on how Retrospect is suppose to work. I though maybe the multiple user security in OSX would prevent backup or verify due to the permissions issue. I had just read that the root user can get at every file/folder - so I thought I made a connection between these errors and permissions.

So thanks again. I will try the verify option.

I had a similar same problem backing up with a Pioneer 104 (Apple SuperDrive) with Sony CD-R media. Disc after disc failed on every file when Retro 5.1 tried to compare the files. I even tried "newer" Sony media and it still failed even with the new driver download. The only way I was able to avoid the errors was to go back to version 5.0 and it worked the first time, no errors, no problems. It sounds like something in 5.1 is causing the problem.

Good Luck!

Archived