New Driver Update Supports added Apple devices

Retrospect 5.0 for Macintosh and 6.0 for Windows customers can download the latest Retrospect Driver Updates from the links below. More then 30 new devices are supported in each update. A complete list is found at the following URL's.

Newly supported Apple Devices:

HLDS GCA-4020B (Apple version)

Panasonic CW-8122 (Apple version)

Philips CDD5101 (Apple version)

Sony CRX820E (Apple version)

Retrospect Driver Update for Retrospect 5.0 (Mac) version 3.4.103

Retrospect Driver Update for Retrospect 6.0 (Win) version 3.7.105

This new driver did solve my problem with a new iMac and the Pioneer 105 burner. Before the update Retrospect would report no media in the drive (CDR or DVDR) even though the devices tab could see them.

I found the location of the drivers (in the Retrospec OS9 sub-section) confusion since I run OSX. The text in the post does not say anything about the drivers. Maybe the drivers are the same, but I was slightly confused by this.

I am out of DVD-R media but I am running with CD-R media and will try DVD media soon.

Thanks

The CD-R burn did not finish well. I stopped the script because the verify was going way to slowly on the 4 disk in the set (and I am tired and need to go to bed). In looking at the log both Disk 3 and Disk 4 show posistion and read errors 206. The text with the error points to bad or dirty media.

So the driver may not be working perfectly.

The media are Maxell CD-Rs (new) and the imac is new with only a few burns under its belt.

I will try some DVD media here shortly and see if that works better (and that is my preference anyway).

I just completed my Imation CD-RW backup. Things looked much better until the very end of the compare on the last of three CD's. The only error was that my log file had grown in size from the backup to the restore (I even had the log file open so I could follow). Then I got a series of "bad backup header found " errors. It appears they are all the files I had tried to backup from a different "user". I am wondering if I made a mistate in setting Retrospect to backup multiple users?

I log into the machine as an administrator but not as a root user. I set up the selectors and they back up all the user accounts. In my selector I asked Retrospect to select the Users folder and copy all enclosed folders and files (which includes the user I am logged in as and this second user). The second user on the machine is also an administrator.

So is this a "permissions" error problem or an actual media problem? Any thoughts?

This is the first time I have tried to backup a multiple user account. Maybe I have to enable the root user and launch Retrospect from that account?

This error is usually not a permissions problem. If specific files were in use during backup they might get an error.

Go to Tools>Verify and verify the backup. If the error happens at the same file position number each time, then it is a problem with the way the data was written. If the file position number in the operations log is different each time, then the error is device communication or a "read" problem.

Great to see more devices supporrted for Mac OS X but naturally I'm disappointed to see that my LaCie CDRW isn't among them (CDBP-241040A). In fact, no new LaCie devices are on the list - I thought you were partners! Retrospect Express can mount it, ask for media and eject - just can not burn (Error 100). Please put it on your list for the next driver updates. Thanks.

Quote:

This error is usually not a permissions problem. If specific files were in use during backup they might get an error.

Go to Tools>Verify and verify the backup. If the error happens at the same file position number each time, then it is a problem with the way the data was written. If the file position number in the operations log is different each time, then the error is device communication or a "read" problem.

So, just to check. I should be able to back up all the folders in a users folder when logged on as a different user who only has admin authority. Correct? I will also be using my Retrospect client on a networked computer and will need to get at three users.

The user files were not in use - this is another user on the same computer where I am backing up (as sitting and watching the process).

Again I had massive problems with Maxell CD-R (see an earlier post). Then I got some Imation CD-RW and the backup went smoothly and the verify until we get to this other user. And basically every file backup from this user had the error I specified. So I am trying to be sure it is media or my misunderstanding on how Retrospect is suppose to work. I though maybe the multiple user security in OSX would prevent backup or verify due to the permissions issue. I had just read that the root user can get at every file/folder - so I thought I made a connection between these errors and permissions.

So thanks again. I will try the verify option.

I have a powerbook g4 15" with superdrive. To my delight the drive is now supported. But Retrospect reports it as panasonic dvd-r and the drive is Matshita UJ-815, which is not listed in Dantz's list of supported drives. Backups to CD-R and CD-RW seem to work fine when there it is a new backup and there is lots of data. But when I do a backup that is incremental and much smaller there are many error 206s reported - bad media, dirty etc. I believe this is a driver problem. Sometimes I can redo the backup and it will work, sometimes not. As I said there are no errors when there is lots of data.

Quote:

Using Imation and TDK CD-RW media I still get these same errors. Mostly at new locations but some at duplicates. I get a different number of error on the original backup compared with the verify. The TDK disks are for "data" at 4 x to 10x, the Imation is for 1x to 4x machines. The TDX backup went much faster.

So I am back to the point where I think this is due to the lack of a proper driver. The Apple backup program has no problems with this media (although I cannot backup other users on this machine without logging in as that user, and I cannot backup machines over the network). So I will wait patiently and hope a driver can be created for Reterospect and this burner.

Thanks for the help.

I have been waiting since October for support for my G4 MDD with Philips CDD 5101. I am disapointed to find that I still cannot back up to either CDR or CDRW after installing the driver update. All backup attempts end the same way--stopping mid way through copying to the CD. If I backup a folder such as 'Applications', the copy will proceed normally until 47.9mb have been copied, then nothing more. The cursor 'wheels' will continue to spin, the Process Viewer says Retrospect is still running and using processor time but nothing else ever happens. Backing up other file systems do the same thing and stop anywhere after 20-90mb have been backed up. Retrying the same file system always stops at the same place for that file system, it is not a random failure.

To quit Retrospect, after attempting to write to a CD I have to 'force quit' and then reboot OS 10.2.4, before trying again.

I find nothing in the system log or crash log at all related to Retrospect.

Anyone have any Ideas?

-Ernie-

Quote:

So, just to check. I should be able to back up all the folders in a users folder when logged on as a different user who only has admin authority. Correct?

Correct.

Quote:

And basically every file backup from this user had the error I specified. So I am trying to be sure it is media or my misunderstanding on how Retrospect is suppose to work.

Try a test backup of this user to a file backup set rather then to a CD backup set -- essentially leaving the backup hardware out of the picture. Do you see the same errors?

Quote:

Try a test backup of this user to a file backup set rather then to a CD backup set -- essentially leaving the backup hardware out of the picture. Do you see the same errors?

Thanks for the tip. The backup goes much faster to another hard drive. This makes troubleshooting more fun.

The backup to a file ran flawlessly (excpet the retrospect operations log was larger during verify - I had it open to watch stuff). This first pass I ran the script only on the boot volume. I am running it again, including the remote client (which has three volumes). Mellowing out listening to Norah Jones (yes I admit I purchased the CD just because she won 8 grammys).

Assuming this works fine we have learned that it really is a device issue (a proper driver for the device I assume). I assume I now just copy this backup file to a DVD-R using a Finder copy. Is there anyway to copy this file to several CD-RW's using the Finder? Is Finder smart enough to know I need multiple CD-RW's when I put too much stuff into the single CD-RW?

Quote:

The backup to a file ran flawlessly (excpet the retrospect operations log was larger during verify - I had it open to watch stuff). This first pass I ran the script only on the boot volume. I am running it again, including the remote client (which has three volumes). Mellowing out listening to Norah Jones (yes I admit I purchased the CD just because she won 8 grammys).

Assuming this works fine we have learned that it really is a device issue (a proper driver for the device I assume). I assume I now just copy this backup file to a DVD-R using a Finder copy. Is there anyway to copy this file to several CD-RW's using the Finder? Is Finder smart enough to know I need multiple CD-RW's when I put too much stuff into the single CD-RW?

The backup of 4 volumes (3 on a client) ran with only two errors. The first was the operations log error mentioned above. The second was "can't read file retropds.22 - error 40 (file positioning error). So basically with no problems I had seen with the CD-RW and CD-R media.

I guess this is good - as my hard drives are okay. The burner driver is probably the issue (I have tried several media types; Maxell CD-R, Imation CD-RW, and TDX CD-RW). Any thoughts on my questions?

Thanks for the help.

The driver was tested and did not show any of the behaviors you are seeing. I would try TDK or Sony media. CD burners are picky in regards to media, and different brands can cause conflicting behavior -- as you can see in your own tests going from Maxell to Imation. Retrospect sends standard packet writing commands to the drive and it is up the drive to properly handle the media.

You should also download a new version of the driver update to make sure there is no corruption in your copy.

http://www.dantz.com/support/updates.html

Check the Pioneer site for possible firmware updates and a media compatibility list.

Quote:

The driver was tested and did not show any of the behaviors you are seeing. I would try TDK or Sony media. CD burners are picky in regards to media, and different brands can cause conflicting behavior -- as you can see in your own tests going from Maxell to Imation. Retrospect sends standard packet writing commands to the drive and it is up the drive to properly handle the media.

You should also download a new version of the driver update to make sure there is no corruption in your copy.

Check the Pioneer site for possible firmware updates and a media compatibility list.

Thanks for the tips. As far as I know I do have your latest driver - but the Pioneer 105 was not specifically listed as part of the update. So I was hoping the update would work. You imply the Pioneer was tested and should work. I can certainly download the driver again. Could you check with your sources to confirm the Pioneer 105 was tested and should be supported by your most recent driver (and then let me know the exact version of driver).

I will soon have enough CD media to start reselling them online. I have tried so far with no luck:

Maxell CD-R

Imation CD-RW - 4X speed

TDX CD-RW - 4x to 10 x speed

I have available but not yet tried TDX CD-R - up to 40 X compatible

I have to think that CD-R's can't be that picky - but I will try my 40x compatible CD-R's. In my reading of your forum, it appears Retrospect writes to the drives in a fundamentally different ways than the standard OS X operating system. Each of the media mentioned above has worked in making CDs using the operating system.

Thanks for the advice I will let you know what happens. I look forward to a note confirming the driver compatibility.

Quote:

I have a powerbook g4 15" with superdrive. To my delight the drive is now supported. But Retrospect reports it as panasonic dvd-r and the drive is Matshita UJ-815, which is not listed in Dantz's list of supported drives.

I think I and other users need some clarification. Matsushita is the same as Panasonic, but is the "Panasonic CW-8122 (Apple version)" you list the same as the Matsushita UJ-815 DOC4 that is inside the late 2002 15" PowerBooks?

If not, why does the drive now appear in Retrospect as compatible?

And if the drive is in fact compatible, why is it that every time I try to back up to a DVD-R, after about 2.9 GB Retrospect spits out the disk with a 203 error?

While in Retrospect, go to Configure > Devices > Device Status and list Vendor, Product and Version for your drive.

There were many different drive mechanisms listed in this thread - you're right, I need to make sure we're talking about the same drive. Thanks!

The Panasonic CW-8122 (Apple version) and the Matsushita UJ-815 are different drives by the same vendor. They have different hardware mechanisms.

While Retrospect may have 'recognition' for an unsupported drive, this does not mean that it is compabitible or will work properly with the program. A driver is being loaded for a drive mechanism that is similar to a supported mechanism. The Matsushita UJ-815 is not currently supported.

I have been trying to get Retrospect to work with my internal "Panasonic CD-RW" (MATSHITA|CD-RW CW-7586 |1A17). i have upgradedto each new driver and am now getting Error 206 and then the second or third disk the fatal error 205. I have switcjed media form HI-Val to Sony with no real improvement. In addition. when the Program gives me a Error 205, I then get the error -24242 (mapid database is corrupt) when I try to backup the PC laptop. Yes, I remove client, then connect client (this only worked once), then delete preferences(yuch had to redo all the do not backup files and folders), this usually works - sometimes and then Norton the PC (may work if not delete the client and reinstall 6.0 again) Cross fingers and hope this works.

Here is the log any idea how to get this program to work with my G4 533 with 1.12 gig memory on OS X.1.5. TW this weekend I will upgrade to OS X.2.4 Maybe this will solve tthe prblem or anybody have an idea of what knd of CD RW will work with this computer and software. All ideas are welcomed.

Here is some of the Log: Trouble writing: “8-Backup Set H” (4285282816), error 205 (lost access to storage medium).

2/25/2003 11:26:12 AM: Execution stopped by operator.

Remaining: 5155 files, 337.9 GB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:31:24 (00:03:04 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 2/25/2003 11:26 AM

∆ Retrospect version 5.0.238

launched at 2/25/2003 11:44 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 3.4.103

+ Executing Recatalog at 2/25/2003 11:45 AM

To backup set Backup Set H…

Trouble reading: “8-Backup Set H” (4252774400), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad m

Trouble reading: “8-Backup Set H” (4250607616), error 206 (drive reported a failure: dirty heads, bad media, etc.).

Additional error information for device "Panasonic CD-RW" [0:1],

Sense >

(MATSHITA|CD-RW CW-7586 |1A17)

2/25/2003 12:30:38 PM: 122 execution errors.

Completed: 4089 files, 289.5 MB

Performance: 6.4 MB/minute

Duration: 00:45:32 (00:00:20 idle/loading/preparing)

+ Normal backup using EasyScript Backup at 2/25/2003 12:30 PM

2/25/2003 12:30:50 PM: Connected to BTB-E127HS7YEO7

- 2/25/2003 12:30:49 PM: Copying Laptop HD (C:) on BTB-E127HS7YEO7…

Scanning incomplete, error -24242 (mapid database is corrupt).

* BTB-E127HS7YEO7: forgotten from backup client database

* BTB-E127HS7YEO7: logged into backup client database

+ Normal backup using EasyScript Backup at 2/25/2003 12:32 PM

2/25/2003 12:32:09 PM: Connected to BTB-E127HS7YEO7

- 2/25/2003 12:32:08 PM: Copying Laptop HD (C:) on BTB-E127HS7YEO7…

Quit at 2/25/2003 1:28 PM

automatically launched at 2/26/2003 9:03 AM

+ Normal backup using EasyScript Backup at 2/26/2003 9:03 AM

To backup set Backup Set I…

Can't access backup client BTB-E127HS7YEO7, error -1028 (client is not visible on network).

2/26/2003 9:03:42 AM: Execution incomplete.

Quit at 2/26/2003 9:03 AM

launched at 2/26/2003 9:04 AM

+ Normal backup using EasyScript Backup at 2/26/2003 9:04 AM

2/26/2003 9:04:12 AM: Connected to BTB-E127HS7YEO7

- 2/26/2003 9:04:11 AM: Copying Laptop HD (C:) on BTB-E127HS7YEO7…

Quit at 2/26/2003 9:05 AM

automatically launched at 2/26/2003 11:33 PM

* BTB-E127HS7YEO7: forgotten from backup client database

* BTB-E127HS7YEO7: logged into backup client database

* BTB-E127HS7YEO7: renamed Laptop

+ Normal backup using EasyScript Backup at 2/26/2003 11:36 PM

2/26/2003 11:37:00 PM: Connected to Laptop

- 2/26/2003 11:36:56 PM: Copying Laptop HD (C:) on Laptop…

Quit at 2/26/2003 11:37 PM

Quote:

While in Retrospect, go to Configure > Devices > Device Status and list Vendor, Product and Version for your drive.

There were many different drive mechanisms listed in this thread - you're right, I need to make sure we're talking about the same drive. Thanks!

This is Cam again. Just to help you out here is my information. I too can't seem to find this being a supported drive with Retrospect and would like to know for sure if there is a Retrospect driver out yet.

ID: ATAPI-A

Vendor: Pioneer

Product: DVD-RW DVR-105

Version: A506

Driver: Pioneer DVD/CD-RW 5.01

I do have your latest driver: 3.4.103

Retro version: 5.0.238

I have not had time to try the TDX CD-R media (but see my previous post for all the media I have tried).

All evidence to date points to a driver problem.

The unattended, scheduled back-ups seem to fail with the 203 error. The discs are TDK CDRW's

Once the failure occurs, Retrospect won't any longer recognize the 2nd disc of the set. Even when trying to manually run the script as an execute now.

The computer is an MDD867 running OSX10.2.3

The drive in question is the Apple supplied, Super Drive.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Ben

LOG item:

2/28/2003 11:00:19 PM: Copying terrisg4 on Macintosh HD?

Trouble writing: ?2-Friday CD? (1034944512), error 203 (hardware failure).

Additional error information for device "Philips CD-RW" [0:1],

Sense >

(PHILIPS |CDD5101 |A3.5)

qlite@wldesign.com

Quote:

This is Cam again. Just to help you out here is my information. I too can't seem to find this being a supported drive with Retrospect and would like to know for sure if there is a Retrospect driver out yet.

ID: ATAPI-A

Vendor: Pioneer

Product: DVD-RW DVR-105

No, this drive is not currently supported. Although we are trying hard to qualify it, please understand that not all drives will be qualified, and of those that are, some take a while.

Archived