UPS Uninterruptible Power Supply Suggestions

I am planning to replace the UPS on backup station with the newer one. Are there any experiences on Windows 2000 Pro platform? In particular, integration with diferent software for UPS: shut-down issues, scheduled reboots. I am backing up onto Quantum Powerstor L200 DLT library.

Is there any scripts in Retrospect that can help integration with UPS?

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

After using assorted UPSes with serial ports on older systems, I'm now using Belkin and APC USPes with USB connections. The USB versions integrate very cleanly and easily with W2K and XP, in most cases without the need for any special drivers or software (unless you want to use some custom logging or control software). I generally buy ones rated at 600-1000 VA or more so that they will last a while during a power failure and so that I can run the monitor (e.g. 19", 21") off of them as well.

I hadn't really considered the impact or interaction with the UPS and Retrospect (if a power failure hit during a backup?). Most of the ones that communicate with the PC (serial or USB) can cause Windows to initiate a PC shutdown, although Retro can be kind of stubborn. Since I keep multiple backups of my data to multiple harddrives, losing any given in-progress backup wouldn't be devastating.

Thanks!

I got Quantum library. What I actually thought: it would be lovely to have Retrospect get the shutdown command from UPS s/w (or from OS), neately return the cartridge to the slot and close itself.

I would rather not to use third-party macro language or WSH, but I am too illiterate even tell that it can or can not be done with Retrospect's scripting. From my old experience on MacOS 7-8-9, I never had a luck with AppleScript and Retrospect, even e-mail notification or logs. Now (no, it is not a punishment!) I'm running it under Windows.

Have a happy weekend, or beginning of the week, everybody!

Archived