"Call Me Dave": Retro. superb in cloning G4, problem on G3

1. "Call Me Dave," your exceptional counsel in another thread on how to use Desktop Retrospect's Duplicate feature to clone my 733-mhz G4's bootable OS 10.2.3 and OS 9.2.2 partitions on my external firewire drive's two partitions made it amazingly easy for me to do that, as well as clone all the applications and documents. Both systems boot on the external drive and all the applications I tested in both operating systems work like a charm, thank you very much!

2. But when I plugged my external firewire into my beige-generation G3, although I was able to see the firewire's two partitions and access their applications and documents, I was unable to boot from either of the systems in the two duplicated partitions, as I did when it was plugged into my G4. I have no need to clone the contents of the G3's partitions, but I do need to be able to launch my OS 10.2.3 and OS 9.2.2 diagnostic, repair and optimization programs from the external firewire drive. What would you counsel, please? I thought about simply duplicating my G3's OS 10.2.3 and OS 9.2.2 System Folders to the respective partitions on the external drive within folders named G3 Operating System but was wondering if that would foul it up for working with my other computer? What other options would you recommend, please? confused.gif

For anyone interested in Dave's exceptional and easy-to-follow counsel on duplicating G4 partitions to a bootable external drive, please see: Re: How prep external firewire as bootable 2-partition duplicate?

#20729 - 02/12/03 05:10 PM

I don't believe the beige G3's are capable of booting from Firewire. From Apple's Knowledgebase:

---

TITLE

FireWire Booting: What Computers Support It and How To Article ID:

Created:

Modified: 58606

2/22/00

9/13/00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC

This article describes FireWire booting and which computers support it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISCUSSION

FireWire booting, as the name implies, is the ability to start up a computer from an internal or external FireWire drive.

FireWire booting is possible on all Macintosh models that have built-in FireWire ports with the exception of the Power Macintosh G3 (Blue & White) and the Power Mac G4 (PCI Graphics) models. You may need to upgrade the computer's firmware before FireWire booting will work. You can download the latest firmware for your computer from the Apple Software Updates Web site at http://www.apple.com/swupdates.

Note: Do not confuse FireWire booting with FireWire target disk mode as described in article 58583: "FireWire Target Disk Mode".

If you are unsure if your computer has a FireWire port, look for ports that look like those in Figure 1, or look for the FireWire symbol shown in Figure 2.

<No graphics in forum>

Follow these steps to start up your computer from an external FireWire drive:

1. Ensure the proper drivers for the FireWire drive are installed in your computer.

2. Connect the FireWire drive to your computer and ensure the icon for the disk appears on the Finder desktop.

3. Install the appropriate system software onto the disk.

4. Open the Startup Disk control panel and select the FireWire disk.

5. Restart the computer.

The computer should now start up from the FireWire drive. If it does not, make sure you are using third-party drivers that support FireWire booting. Also ensure that the FireWire disk mounts to the Finder desktop and that the system software was properly installed. If it still does not mount, contact the vendor of the device to ensure it can be used as a startup disk.

Archived