Miscompare at Data Offset Problems...

I am backing up five computers using Desktop 5.0.238 to an external Firewire drive. I have had wonderful results when it comes to backing up two G4 towers and a G4 Powerbook, but I am constantly getting "miscompare at data offset..." messages when backing up two G3 Blue towers. All of the computers are running OS 9.2.2 and I am at my wit's end trying to identify the reason why this only happens with my G3s. Has anyone had this type of problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Good luck...

I have been chasing that problem for over a year. Dantz people had no answer other than to blame by backup drive, or my network, or the current Fed Interest rate, or ???. I have checked the miscompared files and they seem to restore okay... So now we ignore that message. Nothing like top notch support to make you feel at ease.

Thanks for the info. I am just confused as to why Retrospect works on my G4s and not on my G3s. I did try to restore a Quark XPress file that had had a data miscomare, and even though the file seemed to be restored, it would not open in Quark. Hopefully someone out there knows the reason for this....

Compare errors

File "home": different modify date/time

File "home" didn't compare at resource offset 10,750

File "home": didn't compare at data offset 23,078

These sorts of compare errors are mentioned in your manual which I've outlined here for your convenience.

A compare error appears if a backup set's copied file does not match the file from which it was copied. Retrospect will try to copy the file again during the next backup session or similar operation.

If you know the file was in use at the time the copying was done, a compare error is usually nothing to worry about. It simply means the file changed between backup and verification. Compare errors which mention data or resource offsets usually indicate SCSI communication problems. You can refer to the manual for general SCSI troubleshooting and maintenance.

Some things to check for:

1) ensure proper termination on your local backup machine's SCSI bus;

2) clean tape heads and try new tapes if using a tape drive.

3) ensure firm connections of cables into their ports; try swapping out a cable with another one to rule out bad cable issues.

4) remove all other devices from the chain except for the backup device to isolate the problem to see if it's specific to the backup device or with other SCSI devices.

I did look in the manual, and I did follow the recommendations outlined within. The computers are waiting at shutdown for the backup, and I am pretty sure the files are not being opened or changed during operation. Plus, the large number of files that this is happening to makes it unlikely that the files are being opened and changed.

When you mention SCSI communication problems, I am not sure I understand what you mean. I am using a external firewire drive for backup, and there are no SCSI devices connected to my computer. I have also replaced the network cables with new ones, and all of the connections are secure and firm. Again, I am not sure why this problem only affects my blue and white G3s and not my G4s. That is the part that is most puzzling.

Quote:

but I am constantly getting "miscompare at data offset..." messages when backing up two G3 Blue towers.

Always on the same files or random files?

As a test, install Retrospect and the firewire drive locally on one of these machines and run a backup - do you see the same errors?

I do have the same errors when I back up locally. I dug a little deeper and discovered that both of these G3s have second hard drives inside and all of the files I have had trouble backing up reside on these second drives. I moved the files to the 'original' drive on each G3 and had Retrospect back them up (not locally). No errors! Yay! So I will troubleshoot both of these extra drives and determine if it is the IDE(?) cables or if I need to replace the drives. Thanks for your help.

Archived