Forever Searching for Backup Clients Mac OSX DHCP

fong

I have connected Retrospect Multi-Server 6.0 to three Windows XP Pro clients using static IP addresses. I've installed Retrospect Client for Macintosh 5.0.540 on a Mac OS X 10.2.3 system running Ethernet. I have checked that Firewalling allows the Retrospect 497 port on the Mac client. The Piton name service cannot seem to locate the client located on the same subnet. If I run Test, specifying the current DHCP address of the Mac client, the Retrospect server can identify the Retrospect client.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? Neither Multi-cast nor Subnet Broadcast can find the client.

Okay, it looks like Firewalling on the Retrospect server is preventing both the search and the access of the Retrospect Mac client. To service a Mac OSX DHCP client, can you give general instructions for minimum ports to open for Firewalling on the Retrospect server?

Retrospect uses a well-known port, 497, assigned by the Internet Assigned Number Authority (IANA), for both TCP and UDP. Retrospect also uses subnet broadcast and Multicast packets.

You should configure your firewall to allow Port 497 for UPD and TCP packets.

This may also be helpful:

Using Retrospect clients with the OS X Firewall

I enabled these ports to pass through on the Mac client, and I enabled 497 TCP and UDP on the Windows server. But it appears that multicast uses other ports in the discovery process. And that perhaps it isn't quite straightforward to connect the server with Windows XP Firewalling to a DHCP Mac client, because entries for each originating address may be necessary. Maybe I better get some sleep and take another look before posting additional nonsense.

---Pam

Thanks for sending the link. However, the problem I'm having is more simple-minded than that. I believe I need to know all the possible UDP internal ports that can be used by Retrospect when connecting to a Mac OS X DHCP client.

For I am trying to use the Windows XP Firewalling, but am unable to completely open the Retrospect 497 service port to all UDP traffic. I guess I need to enable each of possible internal UDP service port numbers to enable access through the Windows XP Firewall Service Settings,

Description of Service: Retrospect UDP

Name or IP address of the computer hosting this service on the network: *

External Port number for this service: 497 UDP

Internal Port number for this service: ?

The firewall logs show for instance that Retrospect destination UDP packets for service ports 3733, 3729, etc. are being dropped by the firewall. So I need to create separate entries for each of these. Is there a compelete list of the possibilities? Or is this being too silly? I would prefer not to abandon the Firewalling, which is one of the reasons I purchased a network backup solution, in the first place, and would prefer not to get a separate Firewalling product, if I can avoid it.

The logs don't show any problems with TCP 497. So I guess the entry,

Description of Service: Retrospect TCP

Name or IP address of the computer hosting this service on the network: *

External Port number for this service: 497 TCP

Internal Port number for this service: 497

is sufficient. I would welcome a definitive response.

---Pam crazy.gif

I'm trying to backup Mac DHCP laptop clients over different subnets using automated scripts, but I think the Multicast is being blocked by the routers. Do you have any suggestions for enabling the backup clients to be located automatically at runtime? I guess otherwise, we will look into getting them static IP addresses, instead. But then they need to remember to come back to their home subnets, and to switch their network preferences before the backup.

• 7 years later...

I'm experiencing very much the same situation, except the fact that I'm using Retrospect Pro on a small LAN/single subnet (i.e. a home network).

My backup/recovery console -- hereafter called MAIN_NODE -- runs Retrospect Pro 7.6[.123] for Windows (32-bit Vista SP2)! The remaining environment is set up as follows:

* NODE-02_WIN: Retro. Cli. 7.6 on XP Pro SP3

* NODE-03_MAC: Retro. Cli. 6.3 on OSX v10.6.4

* NODE-04_MAC: Retro. Cli. 6.1 on OSX v10.4.11

My problem is that even though all these clients are turned ON but just keep reporting that they're "Waiting for first access". While Retrospect Pro on the MAIN_NODE can't find any of the clients; neither via Multicast, Subnet broadcast nor Direct connection. All I get is this error message:

Can't access a client at ,

error -530 (backup client not found)

And *YES*, I *HAVE* deliberately opened for Piton traffic (via port 497; TCP and UDP respectively - inbound as well as outbound) through all firewalls (including the respective OS manufacturer's built-in options plus an additional products on every computer; i.e. two different firewalls on each system) on all the mentioned nodes.

- Pls hlp me out here!

Archived