Performance question

powermeck

This weekend I will take up an interesting task: back up roughly 200GB from four volumes on a DELL PowerVault RAID system, reformat the drives, create two volumes instead of four and restore the data. Question is, will Retrospect be any faster or slower when restoring to bigger volumes than backing up from the smaller ones?

The speed is a factor of many components - processor, drive, backup device, etc. The size of the drive itself, however, typically isn't going to make a noticable difference. You may find the restore is slower then backup (or vice versa) due to the read/write ability of your backup device and the hard drive. There's no "one" answer that will be right - every configuration is different and users will have different results.

• 3 weeks later...

Quote:

You may find the restore is slower then backup (or vice versa) due to the read/write ability of your backup device and the hard drive.

This is the first time for me, that I have to backup and restore a complete volume of 100 GB (Ultrium 1, Windows XP). The backup performance was 500 MB/min on the average and changing according to the file sizes between 200 and 900 MB/min.

Now I am restoring, and the tape drive stops every five seconds, pauses for five seconds, starts again for a couple of seconds and so on. The speed is constant: 109 MB/min. The CPU load is 15-30 % (no other applications are running exept Retrospect).

I did tests with different local destination harddrives - always the same low performance.

Is this a normal behaviour?

Greetings from Alzenau

Ulrich Thiele

Archived